Gas grade - 87, 89, higher?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer I bought my rover from recommended 89 or above for the gas quality. I've filled it a couple of times with 87, and a couple of times with 89. I don't notice any difference in performance whatsoever when I use a higher grade and don't hear any knocking or pinging.

What grade do you use, and do you have any evidence that using a higher grade has any beneficial impact on the longevity or performance of your car?

<Discuss>

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed many times, in many threads. I use 93 exclusively in my truck, especially now that I'm back at sea level. At higher altitudes, you can get away with a slightly lower octane (or so I have been told). I see better mileage from the higher octane for sure, and the truck just seems to be "happier", if that makes any sense. Also, the difference in price between a tank of 93 and a tank of 89 is like $5. I understand that it all adds up, but $5/tank is a small price to pay to know that I'm getting the best possible performance/mileage. Just my $.02, for what it's worth.

Paul

newthings

Reaction score
The LR3 has 10.5 to 1 compression. That ratio requires 91 or more octane. All modern computer controlled engines detect ping, or detonation, and back off the spark advance to stop the problem. You get less power during these brief periods of high loading of the engine, as in passing. The cost between 89 and 92 ( In my area), is 10 cents/gal., or $2.00 for a typical fill. Spend the money and feel better.
Cheers, Roy

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 91+
+2 for non ethanol gas if you can get it.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run 91 and higher as Rover has suggested, with no exceptions, if you want the best performance.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to be able to buy gas without the ethanol sh*t in it....

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@paul - did you run 91 back in CO? i always run 85 - no issues - 91 @ high altitude drives my truck nuts (warnings, blinking lights, etc.)

when you coming back out this way to wheel?

- kelby

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Kelby -

Hey man! Yeah, I mostly ran 91 when I was out there. Lots of people, including the folks at Flatirons told me I could run 85 or 87. I tried 87 a few times, but my mileage definitely was lower, and it just didn't feel "right" (mostly a perceived lack of power). Strange that it would cause issues for you...

Not sure when I'll be back out that way with the truck. I'm coming out for a wedding in late Aug/early Sept, but we will be flying. Thought about turning it into an extended trip and driving out, but its soooo far and the wedding is the week after the UP Overland Challenge. I decided that an 11 hour drive to Michigan was a little better than a 23 hour drive to CO, so we will be attending the Challenge this year.

Paul

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Mike will scold me but I run the cheap stuff a lot and while I haven't had any major problems (knock on wood), I definitely notice it's sluggish sometimes, it just doesn't have the same power then if you ran premium in it all the time. I do however do the seafoam thing once a month to help out with build up on my injectors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV