gas smell in oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'99 RR 4.0
Mechanic said he smelled gas in the oil and to change it. I changed the oil and the brand new oil still has a gas smell to it. What would cause this?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Bad injectors, valve seals, or worn rings, but I would beat on the injectors.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks Joey, bad - like clean them or bad like replace them? Is that expensive?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could go either way... start cheap and clean them, pick up some Lucas injector cleaner and run a small container thru the fuel for two tanks of gas (1 container per tank) then I use it once a month after that... cheaper to buy one small container and then buy a gallon to refill.

If that doesn't improve things after two tanks you may want to start thinking about new injectors. (approx $200 - $400 depending on where you get them)

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, as luck has it, my company makes gas additives. I'll try to clean them first. Seems odd that the new oil smelled as soon as it was put in though.

X

xlgrover

Wow then you are dumping a lot of gas. I once had a bad throttle body on a Mercedes with the same symptoms. If you can access you injectors take a long handle flathead screwdriver, touch the base of the injector and put your ear to the other end. You should hear a click click click noise when the car is running. Listen to each injector. If one is silent, then its probably stuck open and the guilty culprit thats dumping fuel.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil level does not go up though and the mpg are normal. Also, I don't see any iridescence in the oil like I should (I think) if there was a lot of gas in it. I will try that though - if I can figure out what the injectors look like...Not too mechanical :)
It seems to me with my limited knowledge, that even if the injectors were bad the extra fuel would get purged through the exhaust unless the rings were worn.
Anyway, I will try that if I ever get it back from the transmission shop. Since they 'fixed' it, it won't shift into first and runs through the rest of the gears erratically. sighs....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72