Gasoline Recommended?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flash Cook

Reaction score
The manual to the 04 Disco says to use 91-93 octane. I was just at the dealer and the service technician told me that I'm throwing my money away using 91, and that I would see a huge difference in performance if I switch to 89. Is this true comming from a LR Service Tech?

Jon G.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
this has been discussed before... I would stick with the 91 octane...

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual to the 04 Disco says to use 91-93 octane. I was just at the dealer and the service technician told me that I'm throwing my money away using 91, and that I would see a huge difference in performance if I switch to 89. Is this true comming from a LR Service Tech?

Jon G.

Joey is correct - go no lower than 91 octane. Listen to the manual and if you want the precise science of why these LR engines need that octane - go to the RPI UK website - or contact them (I think Joey has posted their url before). Generally speaking - the need for that hi-octane is to do with the fuel-mapping that LR burns into their ECU's. If you decide to run, consistently, on the cheaper lo-octane fuels you will run the risk of adversley affecting the engine (in major bad ways that I do not have the time to get into here).

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Jon G.

I think the key points here are "at the dealer" and "service technician"... Of course he wants you to ruin your vehicle so you can take it back to the dealer for repair and they can rip you off on repair charges...

Like George Louis Costanza (Seinfeld) once said, "Oh, I need a new johnson rod? Well, you better put one of those in"...

Jonathan

KIA1001

Reaction score
Don't do It I did on my Disco II and let's just say it cost me more in the long run. Keep it at 91

Reaction score
Somebody was messing with you. High test gasoline only please! In short use cheap gas get worse gas mileage. Use premium get better gas mileage. You aren't really saving anything by buying the cheap stuff now are you?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635