Gearbox Fault / HDC / Special Programs Not Available...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rene Koesler

Reaction score
Stupid LR gremlins. My 2016 LR4 likes to throw random codes at times (special programs not available / anti-slip not available / drive slow for safety / brake assist not available) but when I pull over, shut the vehicle off, and start over - all is well for god knows how many trips! Sometimes "key not found" pops up (key has new battery and is right there). Sometimes rear upper hatch won't open...then it does. Who the hell knows what's next. Always an adventure to get into the damn thing! Never a code though!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a subset of these transient issues back in May. It was the morning after Owners Day at the LR Experience in Vermont. I was getting ready to head home and I got a Gearbox Fault and "Air Suspension Lowered for Safety" message. I had barely backed out of my hotel parking spot, so I got out to look at the suspension and to see if I had dropped noticeably but everything seemed fine. I got back in and cycled the ignition, thinking "this is gonna be a fun 8 hour drive home." But the error messages disappeared, everything "felt" fine, and I figured I'd soldier on. No further issues of this type occurred during the drive home nor since.

One wild ass guess is that a full day of flexing the suspension, lots of transmission shifting, and use of the various Terrain Response programs had set something off. Or flicked a sensor which then un-flicked itself. I chalked it up to Just Another Rover Thing.

PoppyAnn

Reaction score
The other day my wife is using our 2016 LR4 and went into town, ordinary trip, leisurely pace. After running several errands with starting and stopping at each location she finally finishes and begins to reverse out of the parking spot then the vehicle decided to throw a series of fault codes and a few Christmas lights on the cluster. Vehicle defaulted to P and being half way out of the parking spot and halfway in she was stuck. She attempted to press the HDC buttons, switch programs, switch gears but it would not allow her to do anything. Feeling defeated she shut-off the motor and contacted me. By the time I arrived the vehicle decided to reboot itself and started up without issue. After about 220 miles or so this did not occur again.

Has anyone else on here experienced this issue? Any ideas on why this glitch may have presented itself and resolved itself? Should she anticipate this behavior at some point again? If so is there a proper method to resolve this or is the old "Rover Reboot" the only way to go at this point?

My discovery 4 did the same thing I believe it is the steering angle sensor, when it first happened I thought that I had a wheel locked but it would go backwards ok but every time I went forward it kept doing the same I plugged in my code reader and reset everything and it didn't happen again until I tried driving the same bit of ground after another reset and a bit of searching for what was setting it of I believe that it was only happening on a full right lock and for the next few days I made sure I didn't put it in a full lock and it never happened I was lucky that I found one on Ebay at a starting price £7 i bid on it and won it as yet i have not fitted it but i keep it in the car just in case it happens again when I will fit it but it is now 3 weeks since it first. happened and it has not happened again

I wish you luck in finding out the cause.
Regards Poppy Ann.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM