Get window tint or keep factory painted glass "as-is"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am getting 3M Crystalline 40% on my front windows and was wondering if any of you have additionally tinted your factory painted rear privacy glass? Is it worth it? I could very well be wrong but from what I understand factory painted privacy glass does not provide any heat or UV rejection.

Should I put tint on the privacy glass as well? Thoughts?

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could just get some clear uv protection for the rear glass. I dont know if they have changed it much over the years, but on my MY13, the rear tint is plenty dark already. IMO of course.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am getting 3M Crystalline 40% on my front windows and was wondering if any of you have additionally tinted your factory painted rear privacy glass? Is it worth it? From what I understand, factory painted privacy glass does not provide any heat or UV rejection.

Should I put tint on the privacy glass as well? Thoughts?

I saw Brandon's truck in "person", it has limo tint all around and looks fantastic.
It creates a really nice contrast with the Alaska white.
Check pictures of his truck (Bushway).
It looks great, however I can't comment on the heat or UV protection (I was under the assumption until reading you that it provided decent protection as is)

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my LR3 and BMW X5 both of which had rear privacy glass (I've actually tinted most of my cars). I used to tint the fronts and rears darker (knowing the rears look like 5%) without any issue on the glass - night time visibility is compromised - to the point I almost hit a bicyclist due to fronts being too dark - and now i just tint to match rears or go the legal (in FL) 30% to reduce heat transmission.

Regardless get good tint that has a warranty and reduces heat transmission as that's what matters the most (though aesthetics are also a priority to many).

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In MA, I tinted my Volvo to the MAX allowed because my boys were tiny (newborn and 1yo) and I wanted to reduce glare).

IIRC, MA allows NO tint in the front and only 30% on all other windows. Factory tint is often a lot more than 30% though, but that's allowed because it is from the factory. So, in my case, I can only add 30% to the two front side windows - legally.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend additional tint over the factory. It looks good, keeps the rig "cooler," protects and makes it a bit more difficult for anyone to get a glance of anything of value inside.

Living in Florida, I have 12% on all windows except the windshield. That is on top of the 20% factory on all the rears. With a baby on way, it is nice knowing that there will be less sun beating on the little one!

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 15% over the factory rear glass and two layers of 15% on the front two windows (seemed to be the best match as opposed to just doing 5% film). As Axel said, the dark windows look really great on the white LR4.

There is definitely a noticeable difference now when I park in the sun. The LR4 stays much cooler with the additional tint. The only 'con' besides it not being completely legal in some places, is that the nighttime visible is reduced. I've gotten used to it, but I can see it being too dark for some people.

Sbmargo

Reaction score
What does the LR4 come from the factory with? The salesperson told is the skylights have a lot of UV protection, and with the perforated screens, it's almost 100% UV protection. What about the front side windows? And what UV protection is in the rear dark windows? I can't find any info online about this. Do y'all know? Thanks in advance.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the LR4 come from the factory with? The salesperson told is the skylights have a lot of UV protection, and with the perforated screens, it's almost 100% UV protection. What about the front side windows? And what UV protection is in the rear dark windows? I can't find any info online about this. Do y'all know? Thanks in advance.

Not sure about UV protection from the factory, but the front two windows are 70% Variable Light Transmission (VLT), and everything in the back is 15-20%. I would estimate the sunroof glass to be about the same as the rear windows. Hopefully this helps you.

The UV protection from the roof glass and rear windows appears to be decent from the factory, but if you are looking for more UV protection (and privacy), another layer of film is not a bad idea. As some of the others have mentioned, it looks better and undoubtedly keeps the car much cooler.

The front two windows let in a ton of light. A layer of tint does wonders to keep the heat out. Even the high-quality lighter films offer a ton of UV protection. I recommend Llumar brand tint.

Good Luck!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bushway9172 is the resident tinting expert! :) We chat about this a lot. I am still trying to figure out if I am going to do mine!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99