Gps??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vermouth

Reaction score
Try OziExplorer. It will work with a range of both Garmins and Magellans. Very user friendly software and at the same time an extremely capable program. It also allows you to use a broader selection of maps

Trynian

Reaction score
To answer the original poster, I use 2 Garmins, one normal street Nuvi and a Rhino trail GPS.

Both have capabilty to use topo maps but the rhino allows me to create tracks.

Both can be portable but the Rhino is geared more to it and to be on a trail.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 yr later

Ok-
this is exactly what I'm thinking...I want a gps that I can install in my car and take when I go hiking. I know one of the Garmin models is probably my best bet, but since this thread was created does anyone have an experience with a particular brand or model that they would recommend? Have there been any new breakthroughs, updates or new models that have come out in the last year. We can't be the only people who want to do this, or do most people really only use nav/gps to find the nearest starbucks?
thanks-

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an iPhone and I just use an app named Gaia GPS[1]. It lets you download and cache a pretty good amount of map (so that you can use it where you don't have a data connection), and it only costs $2.99. You can also upload your trips and photos from the trip to EveryTrail[2].

It's not a perfect solution, but I'm pretty happy with it (and it's cheap if you already have the phone).

Here is a link of my maiden voyage using the app: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=411341

[1] http://www.gaiagps.com/
[2] http://www.everytrail.com/

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice-
the i phone is amazing (All of you cool iphone guys (and gals) I like the way you can add the pics along the map. Do the photos have to be taken with your iphone? I have a blackberry and I downloaded the google maps ap and thats what I have been using for finding addresses around town. it works, and I don't see getting an iphone any time soon. I think I would also like a little bit larger screen also, but i guess your iphone covers that too! Thanks and I'm sure iphone users will appreciate the info.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[snip] Do the photos have to be taken with your iphone? [snip]

With that particular app, the photo taking is integrated into the app. So, as you're driving around you just tell the app you want to take a picture and it takes the picture and does all the magic to keep track of where it was taken. The nice part is that it's all integrated and simple, and the downside is that the picture quality is not so great.

If you wanted to get more complicated, I know you can geotag images (taken with a nice camera for example) and then you could probably figure out a way to get the same end-result as the iPhone app with any GPS (but with better images).

Last edited:

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have for the last three years been using a laptop with several different arrangments. The ONLY way to go for offroad travel is with a screen 10" or larger. This can be achieved with a latop or tablet pc. (My next one will be a Tablet). I run National Geographic Topo but there are other options as well. Pretty much anything that uses the USGS maps with seamless stitching is the way to go. (Overland Navigator is the next software I will try). Now with the laptop any gps that puts out a signal will send data to mapping software of your choice. I am currently using a Globalsat BU353 USB puck for my signal source. I also carry and use to use a Garmin 176c (Screen is way to small for offroad nav). When I used this setup it is another device that I have to provide power two and mount somewhere (More cable and stuff to come up with a home for). The BU353 plugs straight into usb and is powered off the pc. Since I carry the 176c as a back up (with paper maps too) I can take it out on the hike with me if I so choose. I do not use a GPS for in city Nav as I find it a waste of my time. I look at a mapquest or similar prior to leaving for my destination. (My job has me traveling all over our city anyway so I know my way around, I just need to know cross streets)

NavSetup.jpg

Last edited:

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fwiw, the Gaia GPS app uses USGS maps with seamless stitching (but you do have to cache the area you are going to be traveling in)

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the looks of gaia, thanks for the tip. I've been using motionx gps which is ok. VERY excited about trying it out on the new iPad - which should be perfect size for in-car.
Hell of a computer stand Ryan :)

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the looks of gaia, thanks for the tip. I've been using motionx gps which is ok. VERY excited about trying it out on the new iPad - which should be perfect size for in-car.
Hell of a computer stand Ryan :)

I have Motionx also, but I definitely prefer Gaia. They are both a bit ugly/clumsy, but Gaia gets the job done.

One pro tip: if you're downloading maps in Gaia GPS, be sure to set the "Max Zoom" slider to its highest setting so that you can zoom in to a decent level on the topo map when you don't have the data connection.

Sorry, I don't mean to turn this into a Gaia GPS thread, so I'll stop now :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd