Has anyone reflashed their 3.0SC V6 aka Tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do also wonder, though, is the transmission tune going to affect any of the terrain response stuff of holding gears, etc...?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, @Fuji4 @16FujiDisco have a question for you.

I recently picked up a '16, and finally had the opportunity to wring it out the other day. It actually pulls pretty damn hard from 5500 - redline. Actually kinda surprised me. From looking at the velocity AP dyno, this is supposedly where most of the gain is. So now I'm half wondering if mine was already tuned.

Is there any way to tell that you have the VAP tune installed? Perhaps looking at ECU version in the IIDtool, etc ?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, @Fuji4 @16FujiDisco have a question for you.

I recently picked up a '16, and finally had the opportunity to wring it out the other day. It actually pulls pretty damn hard from 5500 - redline. Actually kinda surprised me. From looking at the velocity AP dyno, this is supposedly where most of the gain is. So now I'm half wondering if mine was already tuned.

Is there any way to tell that you have the VAP tune installed? Perhaps looking at ECU version in the IIDtool, etc ?
Well I would imagine the previous owner would have a flasher. And should have come with the car. But most of the gains become from the pulleys plus the tune. So you would have to pull the belt and look at the belt length and or pulley size. It’s an 8dpk1461mm belt.
It does throw an incorrect file detected error but I don’t think on the GAP tool just the expensive scanner.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@hickersb maybe it depends on what type vehicle you were used to previously. I came from a 2.0l Sentra and a 5.3l 4x4 Silverado; the fist few times I drove the LR4 it felt fast and spunky...then after a month, not so much.

My inclination, just based on web searches and this forum, are that it is not common for LR4 owners to performance tune.

Like @Fuji4 said, the tune and pulley is what makes a real difference. With the tune only, I couldn't really tell a difference even when looking for it.

And the same with the scanner, I'm not sure what type would be able to tell if the file has been altered. Maybe ask a dealer if they can scan it to see if it's been altered?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@hickersb maybe it depends on what type vehicle you were used to previously. I came from a 2.0l Sentra and a 5.3l 4x4 Silverado; the fist few times I drove the LR4 it felt fast and spunky...then after a month, not so much.

My inclination, just based on web searches and this forum, are that it is not common for LR4 owners to performance tune.

Like @Fuji4 said, the tune and pulley is what makes a real difference. With the tune only, I couldn't really tell a difference even when looking for it.

And the same with the scanner, I'm not sure what type would be able to tell if the file has been altered. Maybe ask a dealer if they can scan it to see if it's been altered?
My mechanics scanner sees it. But I don’t think my gap tool does.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I came from a 2012 LR4 into the 2016. But, on a few occasions, I've borrowed a friend's 2016 as well. From what I recall, acceleration on my friend's seems to taper off, whereas mine seemed to pull harder in the upper rev range. But, of course, I understand this may be faulty memory, different temperature/elevation, and so forth. I just recall looking at dyno charts for the VAP tune on the F type and seeing the big increase in the last 1500-ish RPM, and it got me wondering...

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I would imagine the previous owner would have a flasher. And should have come with the car. But most of the gains become from the pulleys plus the tune. So you would have to pull the belt and look at the belt length and or pulley size. It’s an 8dpk1461mm belt.
It does throw an incorrect file detected error but I don’t think on the GAP tool just the expensive scanner.

I purchased the 2016 from a dealer... No flasher. I've certainly traded in modified cars and have kept mum when doing so. I get these cars aren't commonly modified, but hey, here's hoping!

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the 2016 from a dealer... No flasher. I've certainly traded in modified cars and have kept mum when doing so.
I think it is unlikely that is is flashed. You can likely send the VIN to velocity and they can tell you as the flashers are vin specific.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VAP's black Friday sale is going on now; Lower Pulley and Tune for $1454.25 (reg. $1939). Transmission Tune is on sale as well

I also talked to Stuart yesterday who said they have an upper pulley coming out January-ish that is 58mm (stock is 62mm) to add a little more boost. I believe it's 6% smaller and adds 1.5psi, and has an improved design to prevent slippage as the belt wears and stretches.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VAP's black Friday sale is going on now; Lower Pulley and Tune for $1454.25 (reg. $1939). Transmission Tune is on sale as well

I also talked to Stuart yesterday who said they have an upper pulley coming out January-ish that is 58mm (stock is 62mm) to add a little more boost. I believe it's 6% smaller and adds 1.5psi, and has an improved design to prevent slippage as the belt wears and stretches.

Ooh, tempting!

Did you end up getting the transmission tune as well ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV