Has anyone reflashed their 3.0SC V6 aka Tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for trouble I had a plastic pulley disintegrate. Had to replace with a metal wheel. At around 90k. It shredded one half of the belt because the edge of the plastic had failed.

Is this something you think was specifically caused by the VAP pulley / added tension ? Or just a failure that would have happened regardless ?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the tensioner plastic pulley I believe. All plastic pulleys have issues eventually. Companies use the plastic to save weight and figure that the bearing will fail before the plastic does. What happens usually is the bearing starts to go the wheel spins less than the belt speed and the plastic melts and deforms and the belt slips off the side a little bit and rides weird and then burns more and eventually gives out. A metal wheel will not melt. If the bearing goes bad it will start squealing but not melt. Thus there is more time and less deformation. With more tension on the belt it will wear the bearing or pulley surface faster of course. But should be marginal. Tensioners and pulleys need replacing maybe every 75k miles to 100k regardless. It happened while I was in mammoth so I had the local shop get the wheel. They sourced a standard pulley wheel and bearing to replace it. Should be a common part.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They only issue I had was do to my own error of routing the belt under a pulley instead of over. It was fine for several hundred miles until the belt stretched and started rubbing on the bracket causing a squeal. Just glad I caught it before it broke. The sc belt will stretch and loosen up eventually.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my main drive belt finally stretched beyond limit at 100k miles and started squealing. Replaced and all good.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you think you’ll fare with the smog check now looking for tunes? Can you flash it back to stock easily enough to pass them reflash?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you think you’ll fare with the smog check now looking for tunes? Can you flash it back to stock easily enough to pass them reflash?
Don’t know why it wouldn’t pass it’s not running rich. You can flash back at any time. You get a flasher

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just asking as I’d read an article about a modded golf and they got into the whole carb thing about approved reflashes etc.
I’m 50:50 about it at the moment. More is always nice though.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe CA is checking for the “CVN” on the ECU — essentially a checksum that will be altered if the ECU is running non-factory software. I have heard that CO is adopting CA’s standards, but I’m not sure if that means just the numerical limits or also the CVN check. But as Fuji notes, you can just flash back to stock before getting it smogged.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we will know the answer soon as i have my smog notice in hand. Velocity AP says that their tuner " On our tuning the code which indicates it has been tuned is obscured by reassigning it to something else (meaningless), but it’s also possible that this tuned software version won’t match their databank." i wrote back to them to clarify... but i think i can flash back to OEM and go get the smog, then flash it back...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV