Help! '87 Range Rover Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

tufftrigger

I left my 87 Range Rover in a parking lot today after it wouldn't start. Everything was fine when i went into the store, but when i came out 10 minutes later the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. I tried jostling the wheel, taking it in and out of park, rolling the car in neutral back a few feet and turning the wheel -- nothing. The key will go in, but won't turn at all.

Any Ideas?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you can take it in and out of park without the key in, then it sounds like the key lock may be stuck. Normally you should not be able to take it out of part with the key out of the ignition.

T

tufftrigger

then . . .

If the Key Lock is stuck do you know anyway to unstick it?

I've been able to take the car out of park without the key in for 3+ years. Could it be that the key lock just went bad?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have been able to move in and out of park for 3 years.... then you may just have a bad ignitions switch.... but keep in mind you should not have been able to take it out of park with the key out....

T

tufftrigger

Problem Solved

So, I got in touch with my mechanic today and he knew the solution. I'm writing it here so that others might use it in the future:

1) Getting the Vehicle to the Mechanic: This is a one-time fix to get the car started so you can drive it to where a mechanic can work on it. Take some WD-40 and spray it in the key hole. Put the key in and tap it like a nail with a hammer. Then gently jiggle the key and see if you can get it to turn and start the engine. I did this and it worked! However, don't take the key out as it will likely work ONLY ONCE.

2) Fixing the Ignition Key Lock: The problem in my case is that the ignition key lock was worn down, especially since my only key was a duplicate made from a door lock, not the original key (which i lost). Over time the ignition lock didn't recognize my key and needed to be replaced.

One other item: the 1987 Range Rover doesn't automatically lock the gear shift in PARK when the key isn't in like later models. So, there is no problem with the gear shift.

Hope that helps if anyone else ends up in my position. Thanks for all your advice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635