Reversed jumpers on 2013 RR sport - now won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Sutton

Reaction score
Well how stupid can you be? I was using my 2013 Range Rover sport to jump another car and did the unthinkable and swapped the cables. I did not realize this at first and the Land Rover was running when connected, after 20 second the Land Rover shut off. I then saw the cables were reversed and the jumper cable were very worm, crap!

I tested every fuse and they are all good. I also reversed R1 & R7 relays but did not help. Car still has power but will not start, I hear a cluck, clunk sound and motor does not turn over; this is not a solenoid sound. Now battery is not able to keep instrument panel lit. Maybe battery is messed up now?

I am hopping some sort of fuse or relay protected the mother board!

I did test with a test light on either side of the breakers or whatever they are between the cable clamps and battery cables and they are good too.

Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to take this to the shop?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to check the 450A mega fuse to the starter.
It is located in the positive battery cable clamp at the battery.

Mike Sutton

Reaction score
Thank for this.

Well, I used a battery from my BMW and it actually started, yea!!

So, if this unfortunate happens to anyone else here is what happen after I reversed the cables:

Range Rover was running and even after connecting the cables incorrectly nothing happened but after 20 seconds after connecting to other cars' bad battery the Range Rover shut off and cables were worm on Rang Rover side.
Car would not turn over and after 10 -15 minutes instrument panel would not light up. Even when I tried to use jumper cables to another car it still would not tune over. It actually did for two revolutions and then battery got weaker, and I heard the electric chunk, chunk sound; again not the solenoid. The battery was so damaged that jumping it would not work. I did not get sparks when connecting the cable incorrectly because the other car’s battery was so dead, the interior light would not come on.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut