help/advice on bushing/boot oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
311nmmd.jpg

not sure exactly what is wrong...but i do see oil started leaking from my 2009 LR3 on the front right "bushing". i say its a bushing, but not really sure. can anyone take a look at thisn picture and let me know whats happening?

im still under manufacturing warranty so intend to get fixed asap. think the warranty covers this?

any advice is very welcome and appreciated. thanks a lot. love my vehicle. ive had it almost a year. or maybe exactly a year, actually...ill have to check.

311nmmd.jpg

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you sure that it's coming from that bushing? Not that I disagree; just wondering if you've confirmed that.

If your bushing is worn out and/or ruptured, you'd also hear a "clunk" sound when going over mild bumps at low speeds.

I think the warranty would cover that...can also depend on the craftiness of your service person.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
How are you sure that it's coming from that bushing? Not that I disagree; just wondering if you've confirmed that.

If your bushing is worn out and/or ruptured, you'd also hear a "clunk" sound when going over mild bumps at low speeds.

I think the warranty would cover that...can also depend on the craftiness of your service person.

i dont know for sure. im actually not even sure if that part is called the bushing. lol. i was kind of asking that as well.

youre saying the oil though could be coming from something "above" that piece and just dripping down through/by that "bushing" (or whatever part that is)?

i havent even driven it since i noticed so not sure about the clunk sound yet. thought i heard a sound and maybe a smell when i backed it out of the garage. thats apparently when it went out (or something occured at that moment). when i pulled it back in the garage, i noticed the oil....and then found where is seemed to be leaking the oil.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that’s the rear bushing on the front lower suspension arm, then they are fluid filled and once the fluid leaks (at 80K on my 07) then you need to replace the lower arm (you can try changing just the bushing but cost vs labor means its usually more economical to just swap out the arm). Doesn't make it undriveable but as the fluid is gone/going that bushing is essentially worthless. You may want to check the other side too as its probably worth getting both side done as you'll be in for a wheel alignment anyway.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly, its a hydra-bushing. Once the fluid is gone, you'll start to hear some noise. Essentially you're at step one of failure.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
Thanks for advice? Think warranty covers at this point? On way to dealership.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're still in factory, absolutely. Replacement of the bushings, and alignment will be covered.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
Yep, youre right. He said looked like bushing and would replace both, eventhough i just noticed one leaking oil. He said other would prob go out soon so will replace it as well and do alignment ...all covered by factory warranty. 3000k miles or 3 months left on it.

Appointment is next week to confirm and do the work. Cant ask for more than that! Hope it all works out. Will get extend warranty soon.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good.

Be sure to buy the extended warranty before you leave the factory warranty, huge price jump once you're out. What warranties are they selling? Ford is the best that I have ever dealt with, and may be worth a trip to another dealership to talk it over before you buy what yours sells.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
Good.

Be sure to buy the extended warranty before you leave the factory warranty, huge price jump once you're out. What warranties are they selling? Ford is the best that I have ever dealt with, and may be worth a trip to another dealership to talk it over before you buy what yours sells.

ive looked inot it some and as weird as it seems....Ford apparently has a better extended warranty once its OUT of the factory warranty. i think once its out of warranty i can get 5-7 more years through it, but if its still under factory warranty, i can only get 3 more years extended. please let me know if you know different.

i looked up zieger ford esp from reading threads on the board and thats what i found through their site. ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax