Help Changing Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z

Zsalinas

I got a call last night to help somebody change spark plugs on a '98 range rover. I haven't yet looked at the car but wanted to just get a run down of how to do it. Also so I know what to expect. I did a search and found nothing. Are they all pretty accessible or pretty hard to get to, also what's the gap measurements for the plugs?Thanks for any and all help!.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the motor... if the 4.0 liter, no issues. If the 4.6, might be more fun, can't remember (plugs easy, can't remember about if changing wires) USE NEVER SEIZE!!!!!!! Yes I yelled that tom make sure it was heard. Plug gap depends on how often you plan to change them... if every 2 years or more .38, if you plan to change them every year .50 Hope this helps.

Z

Zsalinas

I'm doing it for a friend. She doesn't know anything about cars so she asked me and being the nice guy that I am I said I would lol. I'm not sure what motor it is but I'll try to find out. Are they on top or are the on the side and require me to crawl under that car? All info helps. Thanks a bunch

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
They will be on the side.... no issues, just make sure to use never seize and buy cheap champion spark plugs.... trust me do not purchase any expensive plugs for this vehicle it will be a waste of money. Remember cheap champions. Depending on mileage she may need new wires, do not purchase from the dealer, you can use just about any universal wire out there, but my recommendation would be to pick up some decent ones. Figure $60+ on wires and $1.00 on each cheap champion plug. Don't forget never seize or you will hate yourself the next time your try to help out.

Z

Zsalinas

Hey man thanks for all the info. I went down on monday and it was a piece of cake. Once I removed the stock air box the other 4 plugs were easliy accessible. I put anti sieze on them and gapped them so we're good. Started it up and it ran great. I had it hooked up to a computer and it returned no codes. It was the 4.0L block. For never doing a range rover before I'm pretty proud of myself lol. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

I got to drive it and really enjoyed it. I'm actually looking into getting an suv for business reasons I need a nice 4 door. I really like the way it rode and drove. I can't decide on an suv for my life.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it really depends on what you do with it, how much you want to spend, and if you do your own maintenance.

My list of SUV's that I would be willing to own, in no order of importance:

Land Rover Disco version 1
Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 (more power)
Land Rover Range Rover sport (if someone else bought it for me)
Suzuki XL7
Toyota 4 runner
Jeep Liberty
Ford Excursion (7.3 liter diesel)
I Looked the LR2 (Land Rover) and it looked nice, but would what a year or so to see.

I like the RRC, and even the 4.0 RR's, but would prefer the 4.6

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM