Help convincing wife in taking LR3 offroad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say what you want, I'm 30 and only been married 1 year so she (being 25 yrs) still gets everything she wants and typically gets her way with things.

I am trying to convince her to allow me to find some fellow Land Rover members in Tampa area to go offroading somewhere with them. She keeps saying that's not what we bought the car for. We live in FL and her idea of offroading is rednecks with big pickup trucks, mud all over and confederate flags. She is accustomed to country clubs, Prada and Mercedes.

Its too late to realize that she really really hates the outdoors.

My first step is I will be trading in these CrossContact tires for GY Silent Armors as a starter tire and will tell her because I am trying to get more treadlife without sacrificing too much ride quality :)

Any suggestions?

Trynian

Reaction score
Can always try and get in on a LR wheels event that a dealer does for a start. At least you can say you are going so LR can show more how the vehicle works.

Then come back all excited with amazing stories of how well the vehicle perfomed and how much fun it was.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an easy one. You are a newlywed, so just wait another 4 or 5 years. Then you won't care about what she thinks and just go wherever you want. Don't have kids in the meantime though, they f**k everything up. :biggrin:

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my wife would be more than happy to talk to her. she didn't understand the land rover "thing" as of 2 months ago. she had the same thoughts... aggie red necks driving their big chevy's out on farms in central texas while drinking moonshine.

she went with me to a texas rovers event in april and had an amazing time! everyone there was extremely nice and welcoming. that made a huge difference. as far as the off roading goes, she loved it too! it was kinda like an amusement park ride for her. i enjoyed seeing her get all excited every time we went through a technical part of the trail or made it over an obstacle. and to her surprise it wasn't a bunch of rednecks. we actually made a lot of friends. (there was a good bit of moonshine though :biggrin: )

getting her involved has also given me a bit more leniency in doing a few mods to the truck that previously she wasn't so keen on. she is now actually interested in making a road trip to the national rally in moab this year. anyways, i think getting her to an organized local rover event is your best bet.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also close to 30, been married about a year to a woman who also enjoys things like shopping at Nordstrom, going to the spa and hating everything about the outdoors. I wheel my LR3 almost every weekend, and my wife has no desire to go with me. I set the expectation that I would not give up my "hobbies" early on, and it probably helps that I've been driving a Rover since well before we were engaged :biggrin:.

Not really good advice or anything, but just proves that it is possible to do what you want as a newlywed. I'd also agree with Trynian about going to a dealership Wheels Event under the pretense of "learning about your new vehicle".

Side note...what did you buy the LR3 for if it isn't to take it off road? Haha.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a LAND Rover not a mall rover.

And see if she will go with you on a light/moderate trail maybe she will like it. My Girlfriend thought I was crazy then I took her out on one and she liked it. Now she wants to go on more difficult ones.

shelf4.jpg

Last edited:

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note...what did you buy the LR3 for if it isn't to take it off road? Haha.

The worst week of my life was when I brought my new to me 2008 Yukon Denali home and she hated it. So we went back to the drawing board on shopping for an suv and happened to be on a Porsche/Land Rover lot when I stumbled upon a CPO LR3. I did some research on them and decided thats the luxury suv with character that I wanted. She really liked it and felt comfortable driving it so it was not a hard sell to her. And I didn't lose my a** trading it it either. When the sales guy was taking us on their course out back she was freaking out. After spending more time with it I really want to use it for whats its made to do. The LR3, RRS owners around here are all mall rovers and I need some fun and excitement!

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Push her into the mud and tell her that shes dirty now so no excuses.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont see the problem looks like you have the green light to go alone. Oh yeah the one year thing, as stated before just give it sometime. JK find some easy trails near by or do a LR event. Or go to the biltmore hotel to a LR driving school. Best of both worlds

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635