Help fitting rock-sliders.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a thread on these here:

https://www.landroverworld.org/posts/191348/

The short of it is that, when I installed mine, the passenger side required me to rotate a clamp for the rear ac line but not modify the slider, but the driver side required me to cut off quite a bit of the inside of the slider.

Last edited:

equalizer

Reaction score
Just installed them on my 2016 LR4.
Used the same bolts as the running boards, not the ones provided with the sliders.

Passenger side for me was easy, just wrangled a bit with some tubing to make them fit under the slider.

Driver side was the messy one for me. Changes required:
-bend a bit the part of the slider near the compressor housing
-more annoying was to enlarge 3-4 holes (grinding rotary tool) on the bottom of the slider. The holes on top fit perfectly

Cutting off some slider parts that come in contact with the compressor housing is an option, but I decided for the bending option.

An extra pair of hands, a jack/stands to support the slider in place definitely helped.

Timbo

Reaction score
Just installed them on my 2016 LR4.
Used the same bolts as the running boards, not the ones provided with the sliders.
Passenger side for me was easy, just wrangled a bit with some tubing to make them fit under the slider.

So you pushed the tubing sideways closer to the outside of the vehicle to make it fit within that vertical fin of the slider? And you just used bolts with a washer to secure them? No nuts? I am wondering why i was sent 22 nuts.

The short of it is that, when I installed mine, the passenger side required me to rotate a clamp for the rear ac line but not modify the slider, but the driver side required me to cut off quite a bit of the inside of the slider.

Did either of you re-powdercoat where you cut? What did you use to cut the hd steel?

kenk

Reaction score
I installed Terrafirma sliders on my 2010 LR4 this past summer. Here are two resources that helped me. A video from APT Offroad and a blog on installing Terrafirma sliders.

I cut out the slider to fit the tubing emery papered it smooth and painted the edge with Rustoleum black paint. No issues with slider integrity. If I had to do it again I’d go with the Proud Rhino or Tactical 4x4. The Terrafirma sliders dent when hit, but still have protected the car. Not sure if the others dent as easily but hopefully the extra strength plus integrated compressor protection would be worth an extra $900+ dollars vs Terrafirma.

https://aptoffroad.com.au/browse-ca...s-discovery-3-discovery-4/category_pathway-36

http://michael1111.blogspot.com/2015/03/installing-terrafirma-t818-rock-sliders.html?m=1

9C577F2F-02C1-4A10-BBBE-54262C9E1A32.jpeg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you pushed the tubing sideways closer to the outside of the vehicle to make it fit within that vertical fin of the slider? And you just used bolts with a washer to secure them? No nuts? I am wondering why i was sent 22 nuts.

On the passenger side, I just moved the hose up and towards the outside of the vehicle, as you said. I don't remember it being that big of a deal, so maybe there's something to the "there's lots of variation in how Land Rover builds its vehicles" explanation some of these manufacturers give.

I don't think I used the nuts at all. I don't remember even getting nuts. I just used the bolts, as all the nuts were already captured in the vehicle.

Did either of you re-powdercoat where you cut? What did you use to cut the hd steel?

Black spray paint. I think I used a jigsaw.

You can't really re-powder coat one area. I'd just use spray paint, as, after a few months, you'll need to touch up some parts on these anyway. I have yet to have set of sliders on any vehicle where the powder coat holds up over any extended period of time, so you're touching them up with spray paint often, anyway.

rpearce1475

Reaction score
I installed mine yesterday. Passenger side went on without a single issue. Driver side I undid the AC lines clamp and just pushed them up into the frame more (they ended up getting held tightly by the wing of the slider) and had to bend back the corner of the rear-most driver side wing with a sledge hammer (was actually pretty easy, just 3-4 good hits) to clear the compressor. One of the bottom side holes didn't quite line up but every other one did. Overall not too bad and definitely worth the $500-$700 I saved over other similar rock guards.

Timbo

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight guys... It's clear all these LR's are built a little different. I'm definitely going to have to cut some chunks out of my sliders to make them fit. I'm hoping to use the tools I've already got - does anyone think I'll have any luck cutting through that steel with a dremel?

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm amazed that the Terrafirma sliders need any modification to the mounting holes. Kenk above
mentioned that he'd watched the YouTube video from APT Offroad. I've just installed the APT
Offroad sliders & NO modifications are required. They fit perfectly & you can also fit their
compressor guard & air-tank guard.
Anyone who has not yet bought the Terrafirma's - or any other brand for that matter, should
check out the APT Offroad YouTubes & the website. He does lots of business with U.S. clients
and the USD$/AUD$ exchange rate is very good right now for U.S. imports.
All their products are top quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM