Help Me Error code P0174, P0171, P0705, P1472, P1470

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4fury

Reaction score
I am new to the Land Rover world and am trying to diagnose some issues with my Freelander.

The Current codes are as follows:
P0174-system to lean bank 1
P0171-system to lean bank 2
P0705-Transmission Range Sensor Circut Malfunction
P1472-VIS power/butterfly valves always open
P1470-Variable Intake blanac always open or short circut to ground

I also Have F4 flashing on the dash. Not sure what this means

I have cleared all of the codes to see which ones come back and they all do. I have done a lot of research and I cannot seem to find anywhere that lists the parts or part numbers required to fix this or the steps invovled in making the repairs. Does anyone have a place they can direct me or some guidence as to what I need.

Thanks in advance and happy rovering!!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No body make a list of parts to fix a given list of fault codes, that is where experience comes in.
What year and how many miles on your truck?

4x4fury

Reaction score
Mine is a 2002 with 58,000 miles. I am unfortunatly lacking in the rover experience department. Can you or any shed some light as to where to start to solve the problems I am having.

4x4fury

Reaction score
My hill decent light now flashes green until I put the car in gear and then it turns to yellow with an ! Mark. Any ideas?

4x4fury

Reaction score
Ok I have now noticed that when I put the car directly in drive (meaning I don't go into reverse or fourth) the hill decent light and f4 don't show up. The second I put the car in reverse or fourth both lights cone on. Any ideas as to what would cause this. I have also noticed that the red led does not show up in park. Only in the other gears.

4x4fury

Reaction score
I called the Land Rover Dealership today and found out that my car has two open recalls. One for the fuel pump and one for the stop lamp switch. I am hoping that this will solve the lean issue and hill decent light.
Yesterday I checked the VIS operation as the land rover manual explains to and found out that the butterfly moves freely with no binding. Does this mean that i need a new VIS motor? And if so where can i get one of these. I have searched the web and been unable to find one.

4x4fury

Reaction score
Alright I have been busy. Got my new VIS Motors installed and cleaned the oil out of the intake manifold. I had my fuel pump and brake light switch recall done. For some reason my check engine is still on. I have not had a chance to clear the codes and see what new ones pop up but does anyone have any other ideas what could cause the lean codes?

I ordered a new transmission nuetral switch so that will hopefully fix the hill decent light and F4 light.

On a side note I am going to replace the trans fluid and was thinking about replacing the 2-4 brake solenoid at the same time. Has anyone done this? Is there a trick or any steps or a link to picts of someone else who has done this?

I also replaced the drivers door lock actuator so we are working good there now.

Thanks again for any help.

Shaune

4x4fury

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to install the new inhibitor switch and clear all of the cel codes. The only code I get now is P0705 for the trans inhibitor switch. I ran the switch through it's whole range of motion and cannot get the f-4 and hill deent to stop comming on when the vehicle is in R N 4 or 1 gears. Any ideas on trouble shooting this.

4x4fury

Reaction score
Ok I have had the land rover dealership and a land rover mechanic look at the car. Both said the trans shifter or control module were the issue. I have now had both replaced and f4 and hilldecent still come on. Any other ideas? I have also replaced the inhibitor switch prior to replacing the other pieces.

Reaction score
because the transmission rear seal seems to be leaking too, though I haven't noticed a drop from it until now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM