High Speed Vibration - almost a Death Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

CKJordan

I have had a scary instance twice now and need some help in determining what might be the issue.

When on an open interstate I push the LR3 up to a sustained 80 – 85 MPH then after maybe 5 – 10 miles I start to get a shudder that unless I back off and come to a complete stop, will continue to increase in vibration and intensity and by the time I have changed lanes and pulled over to the emergency lane it feels like a complete flat… Once started the vibrations continue until the LR3 is at a stop…

The first time I stopped the vehicle on side of the road, checked all lug nuts and no problems. The smell of burnt rubber was very strong both outside and inside the cabin… After a few minutes I started off again with no further issues.

The second time my wife was driving and had this happen. She immediately pulled over and let it rest for maybe a minute, then started back on the road smooth as silk.

Goodyear Wrangler HP tires. All worn to same diameter.

I hope this is a tire issue rather than drive train!!! Any thoughts

Thanks

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you sustaining 80-85 mph? :biggrin: Seems like a built-in speed limit compliance device!

R

roverdawg

SCARY! Could it be ABS error or faulty parking brake activating while driving? I'd take it in pronto. Keep us posted....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a bad idler arm on the steering.... I would take to dealer asap and have them look into it.

C

CKJordan

LR3 is a 2005 SE 5 seat with approx 15K miles, 18" wheels.

Thanks for the ideas.

yes, it is very much a built in speed limit device.

N

Nomad

Any strange discoloration in the brakes (blue brakes)? Also does the vibration seem to come from the steering wheel or does the entire truck shudder?

Very strange stuff...take it in right away.
Nomad

C

CKJordan

Brakes are fine and not hot when I stopped. Wheels as well. All wheel temps were warm to touch but that's it.

Nothing excessive in steering other than what one would expect from an flat tire or one that lost a wheel weight. Load as all hell though, really sounds like a flat tire that is shredding apart.

The only reason I am thinking a tire is that in the morning for the first 5 miles or so I have a 'out of round or balance' sensation in the rear of the vehicle. Once the vehicle or tire is driven past the first few miles everything smooths out and is good until the next morning

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 uses rack and pinion steering. Could be any # of things. It is under warranty. Bring it in and have them look at it.

F

Freeflytim

Go to the dealer.
Tell them you are experiencing an 'Electronic Parking Brake Activation."
Its a known issue that has been addressed on various boards.
Shudder. Stop. Smell. Reboot. Good to go. Repeat later.
The burnt rubber smell comes from the internal rear drums activating. (aka parking brake)
They will pull and seal the parking brake harness, replace your rear rotors, including the drums, and all the pads

Been there, done that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635