Hiss / Humm when using AUX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have successfully installed my MYFI XM radio and a KUDA mount (http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_and_holder_for_land_rover_lr3_since_2005-20-195.html)

I have it hooked up to the AUX port (I bought a 6ft 8mm plug audio cable from Radio Shack and plugged it into the AUX port from the inside. TUcked the wires into the center console.) Anyway, power is via a 12v plug fromthe front dash and the antenna is on the roof right above the drivers door behind the rail. (its magnetic) Now there is a HISS/HUMM as you accelerate and the volume needs to be at 35... but when you switch to CD or RADIO... 35 is WAY too loud. Anyone know of a way to amplify the sound (to a level that 'synchs' with the volume you hear while in CD or RADIO...) and filter this background noise?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could you give some more info on where you connected the audio line? you say "into the AUX port from the inside." ?

the volume issue has been discussed by people using the external AUX plug. i have that issue with my iPod, but its not as bad as you are experiencing. (i rarely turn it up to 35 and I do like it loud at times.)

the only time i have received a hiss/humm is when the audio connection is not secure. sometime my plug is not fully seated on either the iPod or the rear connector. if you already checked that, then you're getting noise from somewhere, obviously. you may want to check the quality of the cable or find out if you bypassed anything that was needed by hooking up directly (whatever that means). For all I know LR may have a filter on the stock audio line. ?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
toddjb122 is correct. If the connection is bad or loose, you'll introduce noise. You can also experience this with some devices when you tap not so clean power sources. If you get this all the time on AUX with, say, a battery power device (to eliminate your power source as the cause)... something is wrong with your AUX input wiring.

Also, yes... volume level is low compared to other sources. That's an "as designed" flaw; it needs a AUX volume offset adjustment on the head unit. Oh, well. Maybe in 2008.

(The iPod has a higher output than most devices, and it's still a bit low at full volume. Only "real" solution is to introduce a pre-amp/line driver between the device and the AUX input.)

sunlion

Reaction score
I used a Belkin ipod plug which had preamplifier built in and turned this up all the way. You should be able to find a similar device. I also had the annoying hum but I figuured out that if I selected FM then Aux, the hum disappeared. That worked for my vehicle, ii might not work for you or it might be different.

A

aah78

sunlion said:
if I selected FM then Aux, the hum disappeared.
this worked for me too - select CD or FM, and then AUX and the hum disappears.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA