Hood Wind Deflector Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the post. interested to hear more feedback as i was looking to purchase as well.

Anyone else had an issue with the hood deflector?
I got mine installed, at the dealership when the LR4 was in for an oil change last month. Next day, the first time I drove over 40mph, I noticed a LOUD noise coming from the front left of the vehicle. Slowing down below 40, it stops. Hmm, thats interesting. Hit 40, theres the noise. Faster you go, louder it is. Driving along, looking for what might be causing it, and notice the deflector is blurry. ie, it is vibrating. A lot.
So I got home, and inspected it again to make sure it was installed correctly - looked good, but take good note of the fact it is attached only with five small, flexible, spring steel clips at the bottom. Nothing on top. Its about 4" wide. So I tried blocking it out in back towards the top with some foam rubber that would not damage the paint, thinking this might prevent the movement and dampen the vibration, and took it for a spin. Got up to 50mph before the front left clip broke, and the thing started flapping around like a seagull in a power line. Stopped and took it off completely.
Got a chance to return to the dealership this week, where they refunded the cost of the deflector and install, and waxed out the small marks left by it. They said their fellow dealership the next state over has seen the same thing, and the LR parts supplier said they knew of this issue also. Which begs the question a) who designed this and did they ever test it, and b) if its a known issue, why are they fixing the design/still selling it as is?
Very disappointing, the deflector looks awesome, but as designed seems to be for driveway use only.

Disco4Me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else had an issue with the hood deflector?
I got mine installed, at the dealership when the LR4 was in for an oil change last month. Next day, the first time I drove over 40mph, I noticed a LOUD noise coming from the front left of the vehicle. Slowing down below 40, it stops. Hmm, thats interesting. Hit 40, theres the noise. Faster you go, louder it is. Driving along, looking for what might be causing it, and notice the deflector is blurry. ie, it is vibrating. A lot.
So I got home, and inspected it again to make sure it was installed correctly - looked good, but take good note of the fact it is attached only with five small, flexible, spring steel clips at the bottom. Nothing on top. Its about 4" wide. So I tried blocking it out in back towards the top with some foam rubber that would not damage the paint, thinking this might prevent the movement and dampen the vibration, and took it for a spin. Got up to 50mph before the front left clip broke, and the thing started flapping around like a seagull in a power line. Stopped and took it off completely.
Got a chance to return to the dealership this week, where they refunded the cost of the deflector and install, and waxed out the small marks left by it. They said their fellow dealership the next state over has seen the same thing, and the LR parts supplier said they knew of this issue also. Which begs the question a) who designed this and did they ever test it, and b) if its a known issue, why are they fixing the design/still selling it as is?
Very disappointing, the deflector looks awesome, but as designed seems to be for driveway use only.

My makes a little noise when it hits 70mph but other than that, it seems to be ok.

BushRover

Reaction score
Just picked up a Land Rover hood wind deflector for my LR4 this afternoon, has anyone installed this yet and could give some quick tips? The instruction seems straight forward but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

Disco4me - hey just picked up a hood deflector myself and trying to figure out the instructions - any chance u can post some close up pics on how the clamps fit onto the hood? Thanks

ralph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hood

I had one on my LR3, and it was ripped off on the highway from cross wind. Did damage to my hood. They are not met for strong winds.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while back I called my dealer to order one. They recommended I did not get it due to many complaints of vibration and noise.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while back I called my dealer to order one. They recommended I did not get it due to many complaints of vibration and noise.
The same thing happened to me. I thought about getting one as well, but was told by the dealership that they get a lot of complaints about vibration and noise, and have heard of a few blowing off and causing some damage when folks drive out to other windy parts of CA.

I am definitely not getting one!

Disco4Me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me. I thought about getting one as well, but was told by the dealership that they get a lot of complaints about vibration and noise, and have heard of a few blowing off and causing some damage when folks drive out to other windy parts of CA.

I am definitely not getting one!

Don't get unil Land Rover comes out with an improve deflector. I counldn't take the noise anymore and returned it to the dealer. Its ashame because it looks really nice on the truck.

BushRover

Reaction score
Well I guess I am returning it based on the feedback that I have received. It is a shame, cause it does look nice. I do have to say that when I took it out of the box it did look very flimsy so I can only imagine it in a high wind situation.

Thanks everyone for the input!

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've yet to see a wind deflector on any truck that looks even close to acceptable aesthetically. Personal taste, I guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA