How good is the Discovery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

clueless

So I'm planning on buying a Discovery - actually my girlfriend wants it, but I don't know much about them. We currently own a Jeep Wrangler and a '79 Scout II. Our main concern is driving in the snow - in the mountains. The Jeep is okay and the Scout - well, it's a match made in heaven...

My biggest fear is that we end up with a truck like a Dodge Dorango. We rented one once when the Jeep broke down, and when we drove it in the snow - it was like driving my grandmother's Monte Carlo...

Any advice from the Discovery owners out there?
-brad

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Brad, I guess it depends on who you talk too. It will also depend on the type of tires you are running, but I would be willing to say the I would be willing to drive my Disco in an type of weather. If the road is visable enough to know where the ditches are, then I would say the Land Rover with anything other than HP type tires will take you there and back without breaking a sweat.

G

Gotrovr

I still own a 74 Scout II w/345 v8 4spd

But as of this past February, it has been replaced by my 96 Disco I as my everyday driver and off-road wonder machine.

D

discomike

Brad,
I have to tell you, I can relate to what you were saying about the Scout. I am showing my age I guess, but I used to sell Scouts in Scottsdale, ariz. when it was still half dirt roads, They are one hell of a 4wheeler.
So is the Disco though. I am on a couple of web site where I get a chance to talk to people in other countries and they swear by them for snow use.
What year are you looking at, new or used?? This will make some difference also.
Mike J.

C

clueless

Thanks, guys, for the advice. We're thinking about buying a used: 2001 - 2003 Discovery. Anything else I should know about? S vs. SE vs. others?

D

discomike

Brad,
If you want the best off road out of a vehicle, try a 2001 only if it has a transfer case that has the CDL set up inside. If you can find one, you can add a conversion and be able to lock the t/case to give you better traction, 02's and 03's don't have this ability and only some 01's did before Rover dropped it.
This feature was dropped in 99 by Rover but they left the old style t/case in the vehicle less the linkage.
Do you have a Rover friend, if so take him shopping with you if he knows what to look for.
Good luck, either way you will have a great truck.
Mike J.

L

lotusross

If it lives through winter in Canada - it will do fine anywhere you take it.

Seriously though, it's amazing in even the worst snow conditions.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha Justin! Did your Rover break down?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99