How to add Bluetooth, etc., to 2006 LR3 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, all,

I'm aware that various forms of this subject have been discussed.
But what I would like to do is maintain the function and integrity of the existing system, while having the ability to add Bluetooth for music streaming. Maybe adding something to the auxiliary jack in the back of the console? Phone calls would be a bonus.
In addition, what possibilities are available for adding back-up cameras, without disturbing the existing system? How difficult would this be to add?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

rjowenusa

Reaction score
I use an Amazon Auto in my 2006 LR3. I mount it above the radio. I power it from a USB charger port that I put in place of the cigarette lighter. It plugs into the Aux audio socket behind the central cubby. Set the radio to Aux. You then have 'Alexa' and Bluetooth audio from your phone. Makes my 'old' LR3 smarter than my wife's 2019 Discovery Sport.

Assuming you have the NAV screen, there are kits on eBay to put below the driver seat to add video from a backup camera without losing everything else. I took a simpler approach and replaced the rearview mirror with a Gentex version with the backup camera screen and ran the video from a camera mounted in the tailgate (also purchased from eBay). It was tedious to run the video cable, especially through the tail gate power conduit but it works well. All the power/reverse signals to turn on the display are already above the interior light cluster in the roof.

Last edited:

rjowenusa

Reaction score
Sorry, I misnamed it. It's an Echo Auto, not an Amazon Auto.,

mflecklr3

Reaction score
I installed the bluetooth thingy from American British Concepts. It was easy to install and works pretty well. It cuts out after about 90 mins for reasons I haven't isolated yet.

DonnieRB

Reaction score
I second the recommendation for Amazon Echo Auto. Works well and often goes on sale. It's $19.99 right now (2/14/2022). You do need an active phone internet connection for it to work.

If you need something that works without internet, check out the various bluetooth receivers on Amazon. I had a Taotronics that worked ok, but it was a pain to turn on and connect.

The Amazon echo just works without having to turn devices on and off.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the LRBT-1 from American British Concepts and it’s been great for me. I have the additional microphone installed for phone calls. There aren’t any factory controls for music listening, but it does add two USB charging outlets in the second row as well.

Without a head unit swap, this is the best option for Bluetooth for an LR3 IMO.

reconfreaksdad

Reaction score
I followed a post on Reddit 2 years ago, and it works flawlessly. The LR3 still picks up my phone calls and all factory buttons work, but the Bluetooth module plays audio and any Alexa interactions (I too installed an Amazon Echo Auto). I also bought a small enclosure box, and tucked it all in nicely. I highly recommend this solution.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run two separate systems. Got a "smart mirror" that sits on top the existing mirror. Hardwired the camera in the rear and connected to my reverse lights so when I put the rig in reverse, the rear cam will kick in. The mirror acts like a dash cam as well. Records both rear and front. For bluetooth, I got a China product that does the job. Got it hooked into the aux jack and powered by cigarette lighter. Connects to my phone for music and calls. I got a cheaper one and it plays the music well but the calls via that device is not clear. I just use my speaker phone instead of the Bluetooth device when making malls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA