Hurricane Ike

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chomondely

Reaction score
2006 LR3 V6, 59k miles.
Drove through around 24 inches standing water w/o problem. I sure could tell the increased drag when the body hit the water. It felt like someone put the brakes on. Of course, I had it in off road height. No water came in from under the door seal. Nice to know that I can get around if I need to.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scary - hope you guys are all OK. It is one thing to *choose* to cross 24" of water in a stream off roading, totally different when you *have* to do it to get to food, water, gas, etc.

Take care.
Rich

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you should write a letter to Land Rover, they might want to use that story in an advertisement!

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was standing salt water, you'll be lucky if you can still drive it in a month.

chomondely

Reaction score
Ike

Water was fresh. I could judge the depth from the how high the water was over the curb and how far the water extended up in the yards.

I also judged the depth from how high went on the Infinity G35 that did not make it. I slowly pulled up along side of him. I rolled my window and asked he wanted any help. He refused and just kept yelling at some one on the other end of his cell phone. I looked in his car and saw that the water was already on his floor board. The water was not rising in the street and he only had to walk 40 feet to safety.

Much easier to go in the deep water when I shifted into low range. Very surprised at much the drag increased when the body hiot the water even at low speed.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much easier to go in the deep water when I shifted into low range. Very surprised at much the drag increased when the body hiot the water even at low speed.

That's a great tip. Thanks!

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to apologize. I sounded like a **** with regard to my comment about not being able to drive it in a month. I have an LR3 because my insurance company totaled my Disco II after it was in contact with salt water from a hurricane we had (Key West, Hurricane Wilma '05, nine foot tidal surge). For less than fifteen minutes, the water rose high enough to flood just the passenger footwell. That was enough to immediately "emulsify" the wiring to the under-seat CD player. Even though I flushed out the interior with a hose for hours and pressure washed the exterior, within two days the passenger windows where frozen in place and the rotors were weeping heaps of rust onto the rims. Total electrical failure occurred in about a week and for the next two months it sat in front of my house in an ever expanding rust stain. By then, all the wheels were locked up and it had to dragged onto the flatbed.

It's a common scene on the Weather Channel to see someone drive their SUV through flood waters. Don't do it! Even if the water is standing and you think there is no risk of getting washed down stream, there might not be any road way left. Stay home, play cards, make babies, Google old girlfriends but, don't go for a pleasure drive.

If you live in a area that has been struck by a natural disaster, no matter how well you THINK you are insured, you have no idea what financial hell you are about to enter. The one thing you really need right now is a reliable car so that if you have to, you start your life over someplace new.

Again, sorry for the rant but, brother I've been there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4