Strange AC Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baxterdown

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Something strange happened to my partner’s 2016 LR4 today. We drove to a restaurant, and everything was ok. When we came out an hour later, I opened the passenger door, and the rubber mat was covered with water (see photo attached). It rained while we were having lunch, so I immediately thought of clogged sunroof lines. The carpet under the mat was wet but that was it. The headliner was dry, the pillars were dry. The driver’s side was dry. There was no water anywhere else in the car. I checked the windows and sunroof, and they were closed properly.

When we started driving, even though the AC was set to high (it’s very hot in Florida right now), there was not much air coming out of the vents. However, the fan sounded like it was working. We fiddled with the controls and changed to defrost, then to the floor vents, then to heat, etc. Eventually we heard the fan change the pitch of how it was sounding, and air started coming out of the dash vents full blast.

The AC has been operating ok the rest of the day. It’s cooling ok, there is no water anywhere, and the dash vents are pumping out lots of cold air.

Any thoughts on what could have happened are sincerely appreciated!

Jose

Attachments

• wet_mat.jpg
    wet_mat.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 29

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pollen filter is getting wet.
The windshield wiper cowl cover should fit flush against the glass. That's where the water is coming in at.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the cowl at the bottom of the windshield; when it starts to separate water can run into the ac filter opening and puddle on the floor. A soaked filter would restrict air flow. Same symptoms when my cowl started warping. It could be something else, but this is an easy check. If your filter is wet (it’s behind the glove box door) it’s the cowl

Baxterdown

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I thought of checking the air cabin filter (I change it regularly). It's bone dry. Also all the components around it, inside and out, are dry.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the right side sunroof drain.
There's a rubber elbow that deteriorates and allows water in the car.

steevo

Reaction score
- water only on top of the floormat = cowl leak issue, as stated by FujiDisco, or sunroof glass/seal issue
- water under the floormat or on the pillars/kick panel area = sunroof drain

Clogged sunroof drains will not usually pool up on top of the floormat. They leak down through the A & B pillar and soak the carpet from underneath. Also, as a data point, my cowl was leaking but I didn't have a wet cabin air filter. Check the plastic cowl trim under the wipers, it is likely warped and no longer makes contact w/ the windshield glass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72