I should have consulted the forum members first....HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

First_Disco

Reaction score
Hello All-

95 Disco-
123,000 miles-

Well I was on the forum the other night and was reading up on coolent. I read a few post on the dreaded "sqoushing" sound. So, I went out to get some coolent. Well, I bought the "green stuff" 50/50 mix and now I have major problems. Leaks coming from the water pump, lower radiator hose, the list goes on and on. I went to a radiator place and the guy behind the counter suggested that I bring it in so they coudl give the system a check. After talking with this nut job for 10-15. he basically said that I needed a new water pump and radiator and it would cost about a "G" with labor:ahhhhh:. I told him to get lost, just like his mind :albertein and I would take care of it. My question is, what should be my next step?:confused: Drain the green stuff and find some G-05 to go in? Will this solve the pressure issue I'm having now? I have yet to overheat or anything so I'm kinda lost. Is the green stuff even harmful?? As you can see, I need your help

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, first not sure if your vehicle came with green or red anti-freeze. If it was green then you have and issue, if green then no major, you just need a new water pump if it is leaking. Normally when the water pump leaks it is bad. If you pull the bottom radiator hose and it comes out in clumps you have problems, if now gelling of the anti-freeze then you just need a radiator flush and renew of anti-freeze.

First_Disco

Reaction score
Joey-

Thanks so much for the reply. ok, i'm not sure what color it was when I bought it. this was the first time i have put coolent into it and I don't know how to tell. The Res. was empty. Ok, so if I pull the lower hose and its sludgy I'm ******? But if it just jelly its ok? I just want to make sure I understand what you wrote. Can I drive at all on it? I will say that green is seeping out from the lower hose where it connect to the water pump. That is all i have this far. The lower hose is the one that connects to the radiator, res. and continues on up to the water pump right. I can't believe I let this happen, i'm such a ****!

First_Disco

Reaction score
i have no idea, i'm assuming it has to do with the aluminum engine and temperature ranges. thats all i can think of

DiscoDamsel

Reaction score
It's toxicity and chemical makeup from what I understand... Different manufacturers use differnt ones depending composition (silicates, corrosion inhibitors, phosphate and borates) and engine components (aluminum, seal types). ie- toyota always use red or pink. It is important to know that the orange ones cannot be used with any engine that has silicone seals. Apparently it will break down seals within 80k miles.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I will PM you my number... and you can call me so I can help more... I will type it later since I am out of town working this week.

First_Disco

Reaction score
Hello All-

Ok, I spoke to joey this morning and here it is! the fact that I put the 50/50 antifreeze in is not a big deal. Basically, we discussed where the leaks were coming from and came to the conclusion that the hoses just flat our blow! Also, upgrade your radiator plug to a brass one....you will sleep better. SO, ordered the hose kit from atlantic british today so when they get in I will be replacing those and flushing the system with water. 3.8 gallons of 50/50 antifreeze will be the replacement. basically, add through the radiator plug (cheap plastic soon to be brass) until full. fill the res. start engine. turn on heater. about 5 minutes later continue the same process until the res is actually holding fluid. should be good to go from there. If you read back you will see that i went to radiator place with this issue first.....BAD IDEA! always consult the forum. this 1000 dollar fix it has now become a 109 dollars saturday project. I'm tellin you guys, always consult forum members first. they know more then the fools at the shop with the plaque on the wall!

other then that.....send joey christmas gifts! i know he will be on my christmas card list! who knows, maybe i through a few cigars in the mix. i will update this when i'm actually under the hood next saturday! take care all

xengineguy

Reaction score
Hello All-

95 Disco-
123,000 miles-

Well I was on the forum the other night and was reading up on coolent. I read a few post on the dreaded "sqoushing" sound. So, I went out to get some coolent. Well, I bought the "green stuff" 50/50 mix and now I have major problems. Leaks coming from the water pump, lower radiator hose, the list goes on and on. I went to a radiator place and the guy behind the counter suggested that I bring it in so they coudl give the system a check. After talking with this nut job for 10-15. he basically said that I needed a new water pump and radiator and it would cost about a "G" with labor:ahhhhh:. I told him to get lost, just like his mind :albertein and I would take care of it. My question is, what should be my next step?:confused: Drain the green stuff and find some G-05 to go in? Will this solve the pressure issue I'm having now? I have yet to overheat or anything so I'm kinda lost. Is the green stuff even harmful?? As you can see, I need your help
Kenn,forgive me for adding my opinion,But the rad shop guy did try to get you to "bring it in so they could check it" I have been in his position many times,an over the counter guess-ta-ment is always going to be high.Its also known as CYA .It seems the customer only hears the price. Give the guy break..

First_Disco

Reaction score
when a guy tells me he is ordering parts in i.e. water pump, hoses, eh umm a ******* radiator!!!!! without even fully looking at the rig, i think its safe to say that i should have given him a broken nose! but, i didn't and I realized that this situation was my fault. So, i gave him my number and told him to call me once he got all the parts located....by the way..HUGE markup!!! so when i offered to locate the parts he said that it was policy not to allow that to take place...ie no money from the HUGE markup. So, after talking with joey this morning, hoses and i'm set! but i tell you what. if for some strange reason the radiator goes, i will personally write you a PM and apologize for not giving the suit a break!!

CYA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA