I think my Disco just has a bad attitude

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

tjbanholzer

I have a 2000 Disco II - with 57k on her. About a month or so ago, she started vibrating (like missing) for a few seconds - and at the same time the "service engine soon" idiot light would come on. After a few days and a fuel up - it would go off. LR said it was likely the gas cap not being on tight enough...but that wouldn't explain the rumbling.

After 5 iterations of this, I took it in for a diagnostic and they said cly 4 & 7 were misfiring - and I needed the wires replaced. To be more economical, I replaced all the plugs & wires myself - and verified they are pushing juice. Light stayed off for two weeks...and it happened again today.

Here's the kicker - each time the truck rumbles and the light comes on - it happens on the exact same bridge on my way home from work. There is a moderate incline appraoching the bridge. This can't be a coincidence - and I'm not a looney. The bridge is about 5 minutes from the office.

Any thoughts?

62Sunbeam

fuel pump, fuel filter, or suction in your fuel system (clogged evaporative cannister or lines)

You have similar symptoms that I had and a replaced fule pump fixed me up.

The lack of fule to the injectors caused a misfire and all sorts of funky codes mostly relating to the O2 sensors or the ECU being on the fritz.

I'd try the fuel filter first and then check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail (25lbs) and before the (75 150 lbs)filter.

Good Luck

Eric
'95 disco 169K

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar condition normaly going downhill (sometimes uphill) the engine stutters i can put her into 3rd hit the gas then go back to drive this seems to clear it up then weeks can go by then it will happen again
I was told by LR Encino that i needed a Valve job which i did $2k and 18 months later the same problem rears its ugly head i replaced my fuel filter maybe a year ago why this problem only happens on specific inclines bug me no end

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
TJ, you issues sounds more like carbon build up.... get some good injector cleaner (I like a lot of people use seafoam) one can in gas tank, one in the intake, one in the oil about 300 miles before oil change. Then drive it like you stole it for 1 tank of gas...

Slartibartfast, your issues sounds more like VSS rearing it head than anything.

Eric, remember the D2 doesn't really have a fuel filter. Just a little sock over the fuel pump inlet tube.

T

tjbanholzer

Great stuff

Thanks guys for the responses. I suppose it is comforting to know this is a bit more common than I assumed. I'm going to initially try the seafoam stuff - if nothing else, I won't feel bad about driving it like I stole it!

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VSS ? i had the speed sensors replaced at the same time i had the valve job done is this what your referring too ?

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
yep... could be wiring going to it

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not being very mechanically inclined is this an easy job or something left to a pro i hate being taken to the cleaners every time there is a little problem i do have a copy of the Haynes book

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Should be just as easy as climbing under the Disco, finding the VSS and checking/cleaning the connector. http://204.157.1.3/vss/index.htm good instructions for changing the VSS. Should apply to cleaning connector..... at least for location info.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4