ID this engine item

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While changing the oil today I noticed this capped-off hose loosely tucked under the driver side bump stop for the hood. Is this some kind of bleeder hose for some component tucked away in the engine or is it supposed to be connected to something like the coolant expansion tank? Note: I had my water pump and crossover pipes replaced back in December. I’m planning to ask my indy mechanic but wanted to ask here, too. Thanks. (2013 5.0L)

IMG_4057.jpg
IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a breather doo-dad on the end there. did you follow it down?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the alternator vent tube? Pretty sure it is after looking at the angle/side

Would that be the standard location for it? It wasn't fastened or attached in any way, just kind of hooked there under the bump stop. I was concerned that it was something from the most recent service that didn't get properly replaced in its usual location.

I posted the photos in sequential order, with the first one showing its location before I pulled it free to show some identifying details...

BBLR3

Reaction score
Front differential vent tube? Opening is up high in the event water the diff goes underwater.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the ideas on what this is. The consensus is that it is a breather tube, either for the front diff or possibly the starter. Either way, I'm going to leave it where I found it and not be too concerned.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9