I'll be back...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with avoiding communist China as much as possible, but of course I say that on my "assembled in China" laptop, etc. I have negative interest in ever traveling there.

Yes it would be great to have a dedicated off road/fun/weekend truck, but I don't need that in the form of a $15k, quickly depreciating LR4. I have a Series 2A in the garage under the knife right now for that role. I think the LR3 fills that role better than the LR4 anyways.

I agree with that LR3 comment.To be truthful 95% of my off roading these days is via street legal dirt bike. The LR4 has essentially become my daughters ride while the LR3 rarely moves and is in the process of being shuttled out to a family member.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot you had a Series 2A for future fun. An ideal piece of gear!. I had a '95 TD Disco for 20 years.
I'll end my rant on China by saying that as with ktm525 their government is also now holding Aussies
with no charges laid. Along with now refusing Aussie-grown imports (meat, barley, wine, dairy etc) in retaliation for our Government demanding an enquiry into the origin of Covid-19.
The "real" Volvo's of old were great vehicles, but now consensus here in Oz is that you're better off in
a Kia, Hyundai or Skoda than an overpriced "Stockholm Taxi" - better quality at half the price. The
biggest joke here is that folks are buying Chinese built MG's in the belief they are still built in Britain -
AND they're not even cheap enough to seriously consider against a Toyota, Kia or Skoda.
Enough from me - I'll just keep emjoying my D4 for as long as I can keep driving.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I did my part by buying a Pontiac G9 GT at one point (Holden Commodore) lol. Yeah need to just say no to made in China.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ktm525; a pity you didn't buy a Chevy SS a coupla years back. It was the last of the Aussie designed & built V8 Commodores. It was a little bit improved on the Pontiac G9. The Holden versions are now worth
many times their new price. The Ford Falcon GT-P's are worth even more. Unfortunately that era is now gone forever. We don't build cars here now - stupid government decision to cease subsidies cost thousands of jobs. We're now buying shiploads of Mustangs, RAM 1500's & Silverado's.
At least the U.K. are still building Land Rovers (some!!) . Defender has just gone on sale here & the advert
campaign is HUGE. I'll be interested to see how many are on the road by Christmas.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Canada didn't get the SS or the GXP unfortunately. I picked the G8 GT up for a song as it was part of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics press fleet. I may still import am SS from stateside one day.

That being aid the G8 GT was Pontiac's modern day high water mark before GM pulled the plug.

Will Aussie's embrace the Defender?

DSCN4863.JPG

DSCN4866.JPG

Last edited:

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ktm525; Time will tell re Defender in Australia. It's going to be Verrry pricey here. Oz is very much Toyota territory & a 70 series V8 diesel is cheaper, bigger & more torque. Landcruiser 200 series is about
the same price, but bigger & totally trusted by serious offroaders here.
Current Discovery has not sold well here - it's really a school-run cruiser. Plus few serious offroad bits are available for it, although that's changing because good condition D4's are hard to find here second hand
& a full range of aftermarket gear is available for them.
Your G8 looked great. A few guys here imported the front plastic bits to change their Commodores to look
more "exotic". Chevy Bowtie badges are also popular!
I'm still trying to find a large LR oval sticker for my rear wheel cover. No luck yet.

BeViking

Reaction score
Sadly, I'm about to be turning in my LR4. I would not have been able to own it for this long without this forum and becoming a mechanic, so I wanted to say thank you for the help and entertainment. We decided we are going to move to a Volvo, but I'm sure that someday down the line I will need my rover fix again.

I posted in the Classifieds with the tools and parts that I have left over. (GAP IID tool still available!!)
If I end up trading the car in, I will pull all the fun bits off the car first (roof rack rails, skidplate, etc) and post here as well.

I'm already starting to miss it.

Mklinker:

I love the apologetic and sorrowful tone of your message! Haha. That’s awesome.

What tools and accessories do you still have available? Love to talk about the belies items, and anything else you have and dont currently need. (For the time being, that is! ;)

I would love to discuss taking your GAP tool, roof rack rails (are they long or short tails!), and your skid plate off your hands.

Let me know sir! Feel free to reply here, or shoot me a text @ (801)231-0130 or [email protected]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72