Impressions of the LR4 Nav/Voice/Audio/Climate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question from a prospective buyer - this on the Nav/Voice/Audio/Climate systems. These are tricky because very few of these systems in any vehicle have been wildly successful. OK, maybe none of them have been "wildly" successful. Along with that there seems to be a fad with touch screens in lieu of hard buttons and it is really hard to do a good job with a touch screen interface. (On my 2014 MDX this is a disaster.)

I don't make extensive use of the Nav system unless we are traveling to another city. And I always have my smart phone and tablet. But it can be convenient. So what are your experiences/impressions? Any problems with polarized sunglasses? Can you configure the amount and frequency of voice prompts? Does the "next turn" show up in the display between the speedometer and tach? (I really like how this happens on my MDX.) Can you upload POIs?

On the Nav I am intrigued with what they mean by "off road" mode. What is that really? Can you upload GPS data and waypoints such as those that can be downloaded from the internet?

As for the Voice system I don't make extensive use of that either in the MDX because it is somewhat limited and often confused. (We actually use it as a source of comedic entertainment when we are on a long trip.) The problem with the MDX is that they relegated many of the operations to deeper layers within the touch screen interface assuming you will use Auto mode all the time or voice command. But voice command doesn't always work. So what are your impressions of what they have in the LR4?

What about the audio? I would likely do the upgraded Meridian. I read on this forum that there have been problems. Do those persist?

And the climate control system? Any issues? How well does that headed windshield work? Is the mesh in the glass a distraction? Does it impact your cell phone signal? I wish I could get the other cold climate features without that windshield thing.

Any other interesting/useful informational or computer systems or warnings?

(And, hey, if there is an easy way to download a 2014 owners manual I could study that instead of bothering all of you with questions.)

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, first off, no one will probably be able to comment on the Audio for the 2014. The Meridian is completely new for the LR4 (used to be Harmon Kardon).

Personally, I find the Nav system to be one of the worst I have used on any modern vehicle. It's clunky, non-intuitive, and slow to respond to inputs. Once it's been told what to do and where to go, it's been perfectly fine. Purely an interface issue for me and I have heard many others complaining about the same.

Regarding the Polarizing Glasses, I wear a pair of Ray Bans daily here in the desert climate and have never had any issue looking at the screen. Simple test is to sit in one in a showroom and have a look for yourself. (FWIW, I have never had this problem in my LR4 or BMWs, but have noticed my iPhone screen discoloration / darkness)

I will leave the rest of your questions to others that may be more familar with the systems. I gave up on my Nav altogether and use Google Maps Navigation on my phone.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its all fine. Its not the best nav, we all know that.

Bottom line... don't use nav. Get lost. Explore...... GO BEYOND!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the best navigation, especially compared to Acura's nav. But adequate once you learn how to use it.

Previous Harman Kardon system was excellent, not sure about the new one.

As for climate control, these vehicles have the best heating and AC of any vehicle I have ever owned. They heat quickly in -8 degree weather and heated seats & steering wheel work great as well. Heated windshield melts ice & snow and I only notice the fine lines at night sometimes when faced with bright lights on an oncoming car. AC is awesome, even with multiple glass sunroofs. Easily cools the entire cabin.

Both of ours have dual climate control, so there are two AC condensers, one up front and one in back. Not sure if all LR4's have two or only models with dual climate control.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Not the best navigation, especially compared to Acura's nav. But adequate once you learn how to use it.

Previous Harman Kardon system was excellent, not sure about the new one.

As for climate control, these vehicles have the best heating and AC of any vehicle I have ever owned. They heat quickly in -8 degree weather and heated seats & steering wheel work great as well. Heated windshield melts ice & snow and I only notice the fine lines at night sometimes when faced with bright lights on an oncoming car. AC is awesome, even with multiple glass sunroofs. Easily cools the entire cabin.

Both of ours have dual climate control, so there are two AC condensers, one up front and one in back. Not sure if all LR4's have two or only models with dual climate control.

Thanks, PaulR3. I actually sat in a 2014 at the dealership this evening and was able to turn on the Nav/Audio/Voice system and play a bit. It is a somewhat different interface than the 2013. Not sure how much it changed functionally. As far as comparisons to the Acura system it is not all that bad - in fact it is pretty good. Of course I have no idea about accuracy. But I don't assume a high degree of destination and route accuracy with these Nav systems built into vehicles. Of course it doesn't have the ability to send it a destination from my phone as I can with my Acura. But all in all I found it easier to use and more than adequate for my needs. I also liked that I could configure the whole touch screen interface somewhat. I could select which buttons are displayed on some of the screens. It seemed responsive enough to me.

Good to hear about the climate control system.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can definitely attest to the AC system. I also have the dual zone AC and I live in the Middle East (Doha, Qatar). Temps in the summer get regularly up to 110F+ and the LR4 is quick to cool. Right on par with my previous 2012 BMW X5.

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my LR4's NAV system. Compared to a 2010 Infiniti's, it's lightyears ahead. Yes, it's not the most responsive system, but its accuracy is great. I have yet to run into an address it doesn't know, and I use it an average of 5 times a week (my job calls for me to go to new addresses all the time. This is in the pacific northwest. YMMV). Compare that to the Infiniti, which was successful about 60% of the time from day one (I had to use my phone the other 40% of the time). I suppose quality is relative.

And yes, to answer your question, the next turn is displayed in the center console (as well as the NAV screen, of course).

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my LR4's NAV system. Compared to a 2010 Infiniti's, it's lightyears ahead. Yes, it's not the most responsive system, but its accuracy is great. I have yet to run into an address it doesn't know, and I use it an average of 5 times a week (my job calls for me to go to new addresses all the time. This is in the pacific northwest. YMMV). Compare that to the Infiniti, which was successful about 60% of the time from day one (I had to use my phone the other 40% of the time). I suppose quality is relative.

And yes, to answer your question, the next turn is displayed in the center console (as well as the NAV screen, of course).

I had a 2006 G35x and its nav didnt even have touch screen, you had to use a crappy joy stick thing to do things. You did upgrade, but not by much. :D

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just yesterday, we punched in an address and the NAV took me to the town center and ended. I could still see the destination target on the NAV, but no route to it. I used my iPhone to get me the rest of the way. It was on a state road, not a street. My frustration with the NAV continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72