Infact car seats - does anyone have a stright answer ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DadtoBe

Reaction score
I own a 2007 LR3 HSE and have read so many conflicting reports about infant car seats and what will/will not fit my vehicle and safely protect my soon to be born son. Can anyone provide some insights? We're looking at the Peg Perego car seat but told that it won't fit my LR3. Does anyone have recommendations? Please help.

Signed,

Confused DadtoBe

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Moved to the LR3 section to get better response... Welcome to the forum.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by car seats not fitting. We have had 4 different car seats in our LR3 and all of them had no issues using either Latch or after our son grew bigger the seat belts.

Now what we have seen is that most car seats are too wide for the narrow seats so they protrude into the adjoining seat area. So if you want to put in 2 car seats at the same time they most likely will need to be placed in the two outboard seat positions. That's about the only issue I've seen with car seats in an LR3.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, as mentioned here, since all 3 rear seats are the same width (or close) this is one of the few cars you can put 3 seats side by side in the back! (which I've done).

I wouldn't worry about it. The LR3 seems to very easily accommodate any seat. You may want to go to a store that has the seats out on display and see if they just let you carry one out and try it. Most baby stores have all the gear on display so you can play with them and see what works for you.

We have the Chico infant seats w/ no issue and Britax for the next stage. No issues with either of them.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I need to worry about was finding a infant seat for the second-row middle seat that would allow me to still fold the other second-row seats down so that people can get into the third row. I just did some Googling for narrow infant seats. There is a lot of information out there if you are worried about this.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you only have one, there shouldn't be any issue. Just put it in the middle and you'll still be able to access the rear 3rd row from either side. All three spots in the 2nd row have the newest type of anchor connections that work with all the latest infant seat models. We had no problems with this at all when our son was born a couple years ago. Hope that helps.

Frank_ws6

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not as easy as most people are saying... everybody is claiming that they have no issues but that's because they are talking about front-facing car seats for children 1 year or older. You will only be able to fit a rear-facing car seat in the middle seat (or on the passenger side providing there is never any passenger in the front, or an EXTREMELY short passenger in the front passenger seat that willl enable that seat to be moved forward considerably).

The added problem is that the middle position does not have any UAS connectors (Universal Anchorage System), so you'll have to use the vehicle seat belt on the child seat (which is a little more of a chore than the UAS connectors. This isn't really a problem with the rear-facing seats that come with a detacheable base (you secure the base with the seat belt permanently, and then the actual car seat clicks in and out and is transferable from the car seat base to the stroller).

I had no issues with a rear-facing Graco seat in the middle position, but now unfortunately with two toddlers I have to put them on each side and have lost easy access to the third row as one of the seats is too wide to be placed alongside the other one (someone will have to perform some acrobatics to get back there!)

ANother thing you will notice is that the popular car seats that everyone recommends are BIG (Britax, Peg Perego, Graco, First Years). They're not the narrow ones. That's not to say the narrow ones are not safe, but when you compare a BIG car seat with a smaller, narrow one and look at the comfort and protection offered to your child and weigh that with access to your third row, you'll most likely go with the bigger seat and lose the access to the third row if you need 2 seats. With one child you'll have all your options available!

Frank_ws6

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not as easy as most people are saying... everybody is claiming that they have no issues but that's because they are talking about front-facing car seats for children 1 year or older. You will only be able to fit a rear-facing car seat in the middle seat (or on the passenger side providing there is never any passenger in the front, or an EXTREMELY short passenger in the front passenger seat that willl enable that seat to be moved forward considerably).

The added problem is that the middle position does not have any UAS connectors (Universal Anchorage System), so you'll have to use the vehicle seat belt on the child seat (which is a little more of a chore than the UAS connectors. This isn't really a problem with the rear-facing seats that come with a detacheable base (you secure the base with the seat belt permanently, and then the actual car seat clicks in and out and is transferable from the car seat base to the stroller).

I had no issues with a rear-facing Graco seat in the middle position, but now unfortunately with two toddlers I have to put them on each side and have lost easy access to the third row as one of the seats is too wide to be placed alongside the other one (someone will have to perform some acrobatics to get back there!)

ANother thing you will notice is that the popular car seats that everyone recommends are BIG (Britax, Peg Perego, Graco, First Years). They're not the narrow ones. That's not to say the narrow ones are not safe, but when you compare a BIG car seat with a smaller, narrow one and look at the comfort and protection offered to your child and weigh that with access to your third row, you'll most likely go with the bigger seat and lose the access to the third row if you need 2 seats. With one child you'll have all your options available!

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've got a Recaro Signo (convertible, now forward facing) behind the passenger seat. And a Graco Snugride (bucket) in the center. The SnugRide snaps into a base that is mounted via the shoulder harness, and the Recaro is anchored via the latch system.

It's a tight squeeze with both seats, but doable. I can fold the 2nd row seat that is open up and down easily if the SnugRide is not attached to the base.

We havent had to mount a convertible seat facing backwards yet, but I can see where that might be an issue.

One option is now you can get 'buckets' that are now rated to 30 lbs. Our SnugRide is ~3yrs old, and is only rated to 22lbs.

Depending on how quickly our 2nd child grows, I might try to borrow a 30lb bucket for a couple of months as it would be easier to mount that facing rearward, than a rear facing convertible car seat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99