Initial Impressions - 2015 LR4 HSE LUX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derman

Reaction score
While this is my SO’s main ride, I have gotten some miles in during our first month, too.

Our 2015 HSE LUX is silver with beige interior and wood steering wheel and that's it – pretty basic. I’ll hit some of the issues that have been talked about.

1. It has plenty of power. Never been under powered yet and we tested a few 2013-14 V8’s. Yes, I would have taken the V8, but I haven’t felt a need for ‘more’ yet. Even loaded and mountain driving.
2. Heated windscreen – you get used to the lines. I notice them more with my polarized glasses, but maybe that’s just me. Not sure if it really works well or not – haven’t had the opportunity.
3. Eco Start/Stop – well, it has broken once already, but otherwise, I’m used to it. I even find it calming at long red lights. I really don’t think it does jack-sh*t for fuel economy though – it’s horrible, as expected.
4. Ride – luv it. Great drive position, comfortable, (relatively) good cornering. It just feels good. Long rides or short rides, I like it.
5. Third row – I think all third rows kinda suck, but this one fits adults, so that’s a bonus. I need to remember how to flip it up, because I don’t do it a lot, but it’s solid and it works. It ain’t push button though.
6. Stereo – works well. This is a nice feature on the LUX – I like it better than my Audi stereo (Bang & Olfsen) and I really like my Audi stereo.
7. Nav – don’t buy it for the nav, but it works OK. The Audi with Google maps and uploaded destinations from my phone/computer – this system is not even close to that.
8. No A/C issues – works great. Kids like the back seat controls better than our other cars – Audi, Tahoe, Honda Pilot.
9. Reliability – I was really worried about this – no ice box error and we’ve used it, left it on, etc. We’ve had one issue where it had trouble starting – they flashed/patched the software and everything seems OK. Although the dealer did re-set everything to factory settings – electronic set up has now been done twice. We bought the extended warranty – even if I never use it, it just feels good having it.
10. Dealer Boneheaded Maneuver – they attached the front license plate holder to the painted part of the bumper instead the gray part. They said they’ll need the car for three to four days to fix it – patch the hole, dry, paint, dry. We’re waiting to schedule that – I even had to calm down for several days before calling the dealer about it. Can you believe that?

After a month, would I buy it again? I would. Minor headaches and all, it’s a wonderful rig and I look forward to many years in the LR4. Some will call me crazy, but it has soul. However, I would put on the license plate holder myself.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your dealer sounds like a a bunch of boneheads for the license plate issue.

The heated windscreen, is the very best feature IMHO for winter /wet weather duty. You will find it to be the feature you can't live without.

I dealt with the eco stop situation on a loaner recently. Talk about sucking. I hope somebody like GAP can bypass it with their skills.

Derman

Reaction score
Your dealer sounds like a a bunch of boneheads for the license plate issue.

The heated windscreen, is the very best feature IMHO for winter /wet weather duty. You will find it to be the feature you can't live without.

I dealt with the eco stop situation on a loaner recently. Talk about sucking. I hope somebody like GAP can bypass it with their skills.

Boneheads on the license plate holder for sure - that is just amazing to me.

On the Eco stop thing - it does take a while to get used to it. It really bugged me at first, for sure. So far, it has bugged me coming out of a sporting event in stop and go traffic getting out of the parking lot, but I just disabled it. Now, I really don't notice it that much, if at all.

The parking/reverse sound is annoying to me, but with two kids and bikes and scooters and skateboards and what not lying around, it has already saved me from four-wheeling over a mountain bike.

5Dpatrick

Reaction score
I agree with everything you have said. I have found nothing that really annoys me and if I did, there is so much good that I would have forgotten about it. Admittedly some things are an adjustment, especially the eco start/stop. For a stop of 5 seconds or more it makes me smile that i didn't burn a spoonful of gas, but less time than that it can annoy you at first.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the short wheelbase steering response at highway speeds. just a little turn goes a long way with this truck. It didn't take long to adjust to, but surprising at first. now I just kinda think a little left and it goes a little left.

terrific vehicle. You can pick anything apart if you really tried, but if you bought this one for the purposes it was built for you will be happy. At least I am....

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While this is my SO’s main ride, I have gotten some miles in during our first month, too.

Our 2015 HSE LUX is silver with beige interior and wood steering wheel and that's it – pretty basic. I’ll hit some of the issues that have been talked about.

1. It has plenty of power. Never been under powered yet and we tested a few 2013-14 V8’s. Yes, I would have taken the V8, but I haven’t felt a need for ‘more’ yet. Even loaded and mountain driving.
2. Heated windscreen – you get used to the lines. I notice them more with my polarized glasses, but maybe that’s just me. Not sure if it really works well or not – haven’t had the opportunity.
3. Eco Start/Stop – well, it has broken once already, but otherwise, I’m used to it. I even find it calming at long red lights. I really don’t think it does jack-sh*t for fuel economy though – it’s horrible, as expected.
4. Ride – luv it. Great drive position, comfortable, (relatively) good cornering. It just feels good. Long rides or short rides, I like it.
5. Third row – I think all third rows kinda suck, but this one fits adults, so that’s a bonus. I need to remember how to flip it up, because I don’t do it a lot, but it’s solid and it works. It ain’t push button though.
6. Stereo – works well. This is a nice feature on the LUX – I like it better than my Audi stereo (Bang & Olfsen) and I really like my Audi stereo.
7. Nav – don’t buy it for the nav, but it works OK. The Audi with Google maps and uploaded destinations from my phone/computer – this system is not even close to that.
8. No A/C issues – works great. Kids like the back seat controls better than our other cars – Audi, Tahoe, Honda Pilot.
9. Reliability – I was really worried about this – no ice box error and we’ve used it, left it on, etc. We’ve had one issue where it had trouble starting – they flashed/patched the software and everything seems OK. Although the dealer did re-set everything to factory settings – electronic set up has now been done twice. We bought the extended warranty – even if I never use it, it just feels good having it.
10. Dealer Boneheaded Maneuver – they attached the front license plate holder to the painted part of the bumper instead the gray part. They said they’ll need the car for three to four days to fix it – patch the hole, dry, paint, dry. We’re waiting to schedule that – I even had to calm down for several days before calling the dealer about it. Can you believe that?

After a month, would I buy it again? I would. Minor headaches and all, it’s a wonderful rig and I look forward to many years in the LR4. Some will call me crazy, but it has soul. However, I would put on the license plate holder myself.

I agree. Rovers do have soul and character, they just feel special. It is kind of crazy sounding, but I just don't get that feeling in a Land Cruiser or any other SUV. It's one of the reasons many people put up with the quirks and shortcomings of Land Rovers. I just hope that in the future Land Rover doesn't screw it up and make soulless vehicles that have no sense of the Land Rover tradition.

Thanks for your initial impressions. It sounds like your dealer needs to learn how to put on license plate holder lol. I would have been ******! I have heard similar stories from dealers that have done that to bumpers of new 911's and BMW's. It's ridiculous.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the bumper, my BMW dealer wound up doing the same thing but one better. The plate frame they screwed through the bumper then drilled two more holes attaching the plate itself using screws too long. Four holes, good times...

Derman

Reaction score
On the bumper...the service manager was just matter-of-fact about it. "Sorry that happened, it'll take three to four days to fix, when do you want to schedule it?"

I was looking for a little more love on such a lame maneuver and then them having our car for four days. I mean, just pretend to care a little bit - is that too much to ask for?

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first instructions prior to buying a vehicle: do not put a front plate on it.

Enjoy the new car.

Last edited:

Derman

Reaction score
In San Francisco, LA, and Sacramento, at least - they give fix it tickets for no front plate. Especially in SF. Not significant, but a hassle. Also, FasTrak likes front plates and the Mex/California border agents utilize no front plate as a good reason to send you to secondary inspection.

Most importantly, it's my SO's rig and she wanted a front plate on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72