Installed these super low profile DIY crossbars for Rotopax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had been looking for a solution for a while and came across an LR3/4 owner who DIY'd really low profile crossbars. He has created two versions with varying heights and load capacities.

I opted for for the lower profile/less load version that work for me for now, and thought I shared this incase anyone else here is also lookin to keep things low profile.

Main reason for me is to try and keep the aero drag and wind noise as little as possible for cruising on the freeway, and to keep the center of gravity in check, by keeping things up on the roof as flushed, integrated and tucked in as possible.

Here are the pix of my truck after mounting the bars and rotopax on top (mounted with rotopax' quad plate and other mounting hardware).

IMG_2076B.JPG
IMG_2078B.JPG
IMG_2079B.JPG
IMG_2086B.JPG

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you can see in the pix, the 4-gallon rotopax sits nicely flush in between the factory crossbars. I have mounted one can for now but plan to have two 4-gallons mounted sitting side by side next to each other to maintain the same low profile, and that would give me an 8-gallon worth of extra range.

Also, this arrangement allows me to mount other stuff (traction pads etc) right on top of the cans using the factory crossbars.

Here is the link to his site, very nice fella, answering all the questions and all:

http://strutracks.com

There is a weight limit on the slim version that I got which works for me as I plan to keep the weight under like 110 LBs (factory limit for offroad according to the handbook). But anyone here plans to use these, I'd certainly check with the vendor that he is using, as I did, to make sure of load capacity and deflection specs, before committing.

Right now I am hearing some wind noise at freeway speeds (caused by the can itself and not these crossbars) so will be putting on a wind fairing and will update here.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious what you use the extra fuel for? You don't seem to be setup for remote travel. Having fuel on my roof freaks me out. Fuel containers need to be vented every so often or they just deform a lot as you change altitude or they heat up and cool Having it horizontal in the sun would be about my last choice for fuel. Leaking fuel all over the top of my rig would suck. I rarely need my extra 20L of fuel even when trying my best to get as far off grid as I can, but I have used it before.

I love the Wavian cans, but even they are tricky when upright. I went from 900 ft to 11,000+ft on my last trip and vented several times. They burp quite aggressively at times and I think the can ended up pretty compressed by the end. Started rattling a tiny bit in my tactical 4x4 carrier. (my other can is a scepter for water)

IMG_1580-X2.jpg

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, I have been finding out these last few months that I have to vent it quite often or it deforms a lot due to the high ambient temps and sun even at sea levels. I havent not gone up more than 1600 ft yet with it mounted.

I thought that one of the rotopox units that I received and mounted was a bad one so I chatted with them and they agreed to replace it citing their ten year warranty, etc. But I have noticed now that the other rotopax is displaying the same behavior so I have to call them up.

But now with what you mentioned, this may just be the case of normal behavior when its hot out.

Also, since I have mounted it horizontally flat, in order to avoid having to take it off everytime I hav to vent it, I ended up installing this vent valve up top on the flat surface of the can:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZT3GPKR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far this vent valve has worked really well for me with no leaks at all after taking a few trips. Will post a pic or two of the installed valve when I get a moment.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, I have been finding out these last few months that I have to vent it quite often or it deforms a lot due to the high ambient temps and sun even at sea levels. I havent not gone up more than 1600 ft yet with it mounted.

I thought that one of the rotopox units that I received and mounted was a bad one so I chatted with them and they agreed to replace it citing their ten year warranty, etc. But I have noticed now that the other rotopax is displaying the same behavior so I have to call them up.

But now with what you mentioned, this may just be the case of normal behavior when its hot out.

Also, since I have mounted it horizontally flat, in order to avoid having to take it off everytime I hav to vent it, I ended up installing this vent valve up top on the flat surface of the can:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZT3GPKR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far this vent valve has worked really well for me with no leaks at all after taking a few trips. Will post a pic or two of the installed valve when I get a moment.
I ditched my rotopax cans after one of their mount points broke and the two jerries warped so terribly after just a few trips. Good marketing, not such great product. Ended up going with Wavians and have been extremely impressed with them. Completely fume-free. My suspicion is that you'll be looking for another solution soon. Since you already have a working venting solution, that may be sufficient. But for anybody else considering them, I'd highly recommend looking at the Wavians. They just seem like more reliable long-term solutions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious what you use the extra fuel for? You don't seem to be setup for remote travel.

IMG_1580-X2.jpg

Yeah not really any serous offroading here, but Love nature, geology, and try to go off the grid, away from the city/work on long drives whenever I can.

Backcountry/dirt roads, long stretches of peaceful and scenic two-lanes, ghost towns, hiking/exploring terrains, etc, and just like to be prepared and have enough in case I decide to take that 150+ miles detour with no gas station in sight and then decide to take another detour or turn back.

Lots of on road/freeway travel to get to such locations from LA, so really prefer keeping the aero drag down to the bare minimum if possible, specially with the SCV6.

Also, came close to running the tank empty once, out of sheer stupidity though, on that infamous 100+ miles stretch that ends at Salina, Utah, with the computer showing only 6 miles worth of range left by the time I pulled up at the gas station in Salina :) But this is also 2006, not so much of a social media driven time and no map apps available on your mobile phones back then.

Plus I prefer to stick with one brand of gas if I could. So during a trip if I have to drive more miles to get to it, I would, so having additional gas onboard certainly adds to the peace of mind by increasing my range.

Nice rig by the way.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the Wavian cans, but even they are tricky when upright. I went from 900 ft to 11,000+ft on my last trip and vented several times. They burp quite aggressively at times and I think the can ended up pretty compressed by the end. Started rattling a tiny bit in my tactical 4x4 carrier.

I wouldn't mind exploring the options for mounting the cans in the back, but I usually have my bike rack attached to the tow hitch receiver, and I would prefer to leave things stock back there, like the bumper etc.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind exploring the options for mounting the cans in the back, but I usually have my bike rack attached to the tow hitch receiver, and I would prefer to leave things stock back there, like the bumper etc.
I run mine IN the vehicle right behind the rear seat backs and lashed down tight with other gear stacked in and around them. This, based on the advice of multiple guys who have done world-wide expeditions (Tom Shepard, Mac MacKenney, and others). They're in the vehicle, properly lashed, which keeps the weight low and as forward as I feel comfortable (Mac actually runs them right behind the driver seat but suggested that behind the rear seats is second best). It puts them in the best position to be protected in case of a crash. And it also keeps them off the vehicle roof or rear bumper, both of which are suboptimal for loading, require mounts, and entice idiots who want to steal gas. Since I'm running Wavians, there has never been even a slight whiff of fume - the seals are excellent.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, you are actually putting them inside the vehicle.

The fumes is the only thing I am worried about, with the windows closed with ac during hot temps out.

What i have heard/read about gas fumes is that you cannot sometimes tell if they are in the air, no?

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, you are actually putting them inside the vehicle.

The fumes is the only thing I am worried about, with the windows closed with ac during hot temps out.

What i have heard/read about gas fumes is that you cannot sometimes tell if they are in the air, no?
I think that's carbon monoxide (one of the outputs of the exhaust). I've not heard of "not smelling fuel". It's a pretty obvious smell. I could be wrong as I'm not a chemist but if it's good enough for guys who have done 400,000 miles of global expedition travel, it's good enough for me.

I would only consider doing this with the wavian cans, but would absolutely 100% never do it with Rotopax. I just think there a absolute fail of a design that happens to have good marketing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM