installing backup camera from garmin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThinkDima

Reaction score
Could you tell me which Garmin model you got? A picture would be killer. I'm shopping now. The 6" models look to be a decent fit if even a little small. They seem to sit back too deep and quite vertical due to the smaller height than the cubby hole. The 7" models however would sit further out and with a nice factory looking tilt but sound like they'll be too wide and require cutting of the cubby sides. Not sure I wanna do that. At least not unless I get ahold of a spare to experiment with incase I don't like it. Thanks!!

Hi,

i got the nüvi® 2798LMT with Backup Camera https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-...vi-2798lmt-with-backup-camera/prod150565.html
No pictures at the moment, as i decided not to mount it permanently (don't want my windows broken), but i can recommend Garmin Portable Friction Mount which works fairly well... https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/mounts/portable-friction-mount/prod63953.html

Hope this helps!

Tuglife

Reaction score
Cheers thanks!! I'm still going back and forth about what to get. Try to squeeze a 7" but possibly have to cut, fit a 6" that should work no problem but look slightly less factory, or go with a 5" and the LR4 non Nav bezel trim like the UK guys are doing.

I do really love the stock look of this!! The trade off is an inch or two of screen size. I do value my inches :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Tuglife

Reaction score
Another pic of the "D4 surround mod" a la Disco3 forum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 25

ThinkDima

Reaction score
with 7, you'll have to cut something. either the car or the GPS unit itself (i've seen some people do that too)
i'm quite pleased with the portable mount for now... and it's a good option to see if you like the setup or not before cutting anything.

good luck with whatever option you go with. keep posted :)

wheeler

Reaction score
Hi. I looked at all the costly options for integrating with the existing display. ThinkDima turned me on to the Garmin Nuvi with Backup Camera and I absolutely love it. I spent five minutes "installing" it, including the camera. The camera is powered by the existing 12 volt power port near the tailgate and the transmitter is tucked into the adjacent storage compartment.... that port goes on with ignition, so it's perfect. I didn't drill any holes, I just tucked the camera cable under some trim on the tailgate. Similarly, up front, I stuck the Garmin suction cup mount to the built-in Land Rover display and the Garmin display tilts slightly toward the driver. I have the Garmin display power cable plugged into a cigarette lighter on the dash. Sometimes when I drive into the city, I disconnect the Garmin display and put it out of sight to discourage theft. Very pleased with this solution.

Attachments

• IMG_5726.jpg
    IMG_5726.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5727.jpg
    IMG_5727.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5730.jpg
    IMG_5730.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5728.jpg
    IMG_5728.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31

ThinkDima

Reaction score
Nice to see others use this setup as well...
wheeler - i see you use mountek as well :) but because i don't have the factory screen in my LR3 i use the portable garmin mount and i actually found out that the ball mount for mountek is the same as garmin's mount, so i use the portable mount (sold by garmin) for mountek (my phone) most of the time, and only when i need the GPS (or camera) replace it with the Garmin unit... Hope this wasn't confusing :) i'll try to take some pics if people are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM