Is buying an LR4 w/ 66k miles madness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quijote:
Not sure if you have seen this forum:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/category/4-carrera-996-maintenance/

If you have a 996, is not that hard to do spark plug changes, it just looks hard. If I can do it with my banana fingers anyone can. I have had couple of them that I used to race and track and had an accelerated schedule. They are put together like Mr. Potato Head. Let me know if I can help you with those, I wrote some of the DIY at RennTech as well. Send me a PM anytime, I still have the Porsche factory manuals.

I do need a lot of help with LR4's!

It's a 997 Turbo. From what I understand, it's the Turbos that make it a PITA.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...997tt-sparkplug-diy-aka-torture-yourself.html

I would have still attempted it myself, but my awesome garage was not built yet, the car was way overdue for it, and I had just bought it. I thought I'd play it safe.

Thanks though! I will take you up on it. Next spring I'll epoxy the floor and install my 2-post lift and I'll be ready to tackle anything. :biggrin:

You are a good guy to know!

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call on finding something with lower mileage unless you have a good, affordable mechanic nearby.

I think this is biggest factor you have to consider. Unless you have a dealer or a mechanic that's good with rovers nearby, I wouldn't do it.

panchoandlefty

Reaction score
As of today, I have put 140,000K miles on my 2010 LR4.

It has never, ever failed to start or had any major issues.

I have 3 kids between 10-12 so I've spent more time than I'd care to admit driving to soccer, school, etc but I've also taken the LR off-road, towed stuff, and driven in a multitude of conditions. She hasn't been glad-handled, for sure.

If I had to come up with complaints- I have been through several brake pads and I've had 3 cracked windshields. Probably can't blame either issue on LR.

Earlier in her life, my LR went through a phase where the gas tank monitor on the dash would suddenly say the tank was empty, even if had just been filled. Concerning, but not devastating. After trying to fix it twice, the dealership replaced the entire fuel line at no cost.

I've been good (but not perfect) about service. No extra-special care. I had a 100K warranty, which gave me peace of mind.

At 140K, my biggest current problem is that the windshield wiper fluid motor needs to be fixed. The wipers are fine... just no squirting action.

I've learned the "reliability" issues seem to be more about weird, quirky and/or phantom problems. Annoying, but nothing requiring pulling over or calling a tow. For example, every once in a while, my sound system stops working for 20 - 30 minutes. No one knows why. It always comes back on... Its just part and parcel of having an ultra high-performance vehicle.

If odd stuff like that would drive you bonkers, don't by a LR. If you can live with some quirks, you can get a heck of a lot of car for a real bargain.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pancho, I am glad you have had minor issues thus far. I have a 2010 with 41k miles and just noticed a squeak from the engine. Here is the clip http://youtu.be/17ClYxmFJec did this ever happen to yours? And if so, what could it be?

Last edited:

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search carmax, they always have a dozen or so LR4s and you can buy their very good extended warranty. There's several articles over on Jalopnik about how one of their contributers bought a Range Rover from carmax and their extended warranty has been used extensively with good results.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of today, I have put 140,000K miles on my 2010 LR4.

It has never, ever failed to start or had any major issues.

I have 3 kids between 10-12 so I've spent more time than I'd care to admit driving to soccer, school, etc but I've also taken the LR off-road, towed stuff, and driven in a multitude of conditions. She hasn't been glad-handled, for sure.

If I had to come up with complaints- I have been through several brake pads and I've had 3 cracked windshields. Probably can't blame either issue on LR.

Earlier in her life, my LR went through a phase where the gas tank monitor on the dash would suddenly say the tank was empty, even if had just been filled. Concerning, but not devastating. After trying to fix it twice, the dealership replaced the entire fuel line at no cost.

I've been good (but not perfect) about service. No extra-special care. I had a 100K warranty, which gave me peace of mind.

At 140K, my biggest current problem is that the windshield wiper fluid motor needs to be fixed. The wipers are fine... just no squirting action.

I've learned the "reliability" issues seem to be more about weird, quirky and/or phantom problems. Annoying, but nothing requiring pulling over or calling a tow. For example, every once in a while, my sound system stops working for 20 - 30 minutes. No one knows why. It always comes back on... Its just part and parcel of having an ultra high-performance vehicle.

If odd stuff like that would drive you bonkers, don't by a LR. If you can live with some quirks, you can get a heck of a lot of car for a real bargain.

Wow, 140k miles in 4 years is quite a bit! Glad to hear you've had relatively minor problems - I have 45k on my 2011 and hope to keep it several more years. I'm relying on my Geico MBI policy to keep me in the clear on any big repairs. I recently replaced a windshield washer pump on another car, and it was cheap and pretty easy to swap out. Looks like you can get one on JC Whitney (link below) or other auto parts sites (the reviews for the part below indicate it is pretty easy to replace as well):

http://www.jcwhitney.com/trico-oe-replacement-windshield-washer-pump-brand-new/p3039573.jcwx

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say it depends. Are you buying it with 66kmiles and planning on putting 15k more per year? If so, in less than 3 years you are at over 100k.
To get the car or not is question that only you can answer based on your financial position, mechanical abilities, tolerance of problems, etc.

Warranties add cost. Whether or not you get return on the cost depends on your proximity to a dealer, and your comfort fixing things yourself.

I love my 2011 LR4, as do a lot of others on this forum (I bought my with 45K miles). Nearest dealer for me is 6 hours away, so I really didn't want to pay extra for warranty or CPO, knowing that I would end up fixing minor things myself, and paying a local mechanic for any larger things (we have a good local aftermarket LR mechanic). For example, sort of like a Windows OS, LR's seem to need a reboot from time-to-time (about every 6 months in my case). This is simply pulling one battery terminal, counting to 10, and then reconnecting and of course resetting the clock. If such "features" are tolerable to you (or even sort of amusing), then I wouldn't hesitate. If minor things like this require a trip to a dealer, you probably need something under warranty (or a different vehicle).

I love my LR4 - best vehicle I have ever owned...but I wouldn't recommend it for my mother. To me, minor issues are amusing, occasionally annoying, but no big deal. However, I'm pretty comfortable turning screws. For someone not comfortable occasionally turning screws, an out-of-warranty LR is probably risky. Tolerance for occasional gremlins is why we get such an amazing vehicle for ~$40K at 2..3 years old! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi