Is it still ugly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the view from the back is truly ugly. The rest is just boring...

It has grown on me a bit, from the front and side. However, it still looks too much like everything else on the road... From LR, Ford, Toyota Sienna. Whatever

Sorry to rain on your parade(just my opinion, and Clarkson, the hamster and Captain Slow)... you do take a nice pic though.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny, I don't hate the truck or it's looks (can I still call it a truck?) but I do dislike it very much as a replacement for the LR4. Yes the back is the worst part, but then again I didn't like the LR3 or 4 rear end for at least 6 months after I got it. Overall, it's 'fine', just not inspiring. More than anything I just don't like it because it's signaling the end of what Land Rover has been for 70 years and I don't think the defender is going to reverse that direction at all.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer the title of the thread, yes it is still ugly despite the attempts of a flattering selfie. The third pic shows that swollen lower jaw. Turn that vehicle around and shoot the rear end, I dare you. To flip around an old song lyric: Not bad face, shame about the ass.

Mark Home

Reaction score
Sorry, looked at one at the dealer yesterday. Had no issue driving my LR4 off the lot. Honestly, driving through the lot, I could not distinguish a Discovery, Freelander or Range Rover Sport from the font end. They are basically the same, but once you get that side/rear shot, you know what you got. Disco has ugly butt syndrome

I 100% agree with jptruck, Front end is same as all the other LR's, but rear end is just Butt Ugly, I bet that will be the first facelift (butt tuck) to be performed.
The Disco 4 was the ultimate luxury work horse not a pimped up 'Chelsea Tractor' that looks like every other manufacturers large SUV offering

MDJ2015

Reaction score
I’ve had 7 rovers over the years. My 2012 LR4 HSE LUX is my favorite by far. While the design is aging, the vehicle has been rock solid in reliability. It is incredibly capable and comfortable and I typically average about 17.5 mpg on a tank. My only complaints are with the body roll when driving down the pass from my home to the office. I will keep it for years to come.

All that said, I bought a first gen Discovery when they came out and found that all the Series and RR folks thought it wasn’t legit. When the 3rd gen Disco came out I thought it was huge and ugly. It grew on me and when I went in after selling my 2001 RR and ended up leaving with the LR4 instead of the new RR.

I’ve driven the gas and diesel versions of the new Disco. The handling is impressive. The cargo area seems oddly small for a vehicle that size and the second row of seats seem short and low. From outside, at a distance especially, it doesn’t look bad. Up close, it feels huge (though lower than the LR4 it is about 6” longer). The rear doors are enormous. It’s going to sell well.

I am waiting for the new defender to be released to decide whether to trade in my wife’s LR2 for the Disco or the Defender.

One last thought: I think LR has been moving away from the original market for decades. Even Defenders became so expensive that new owners didn’t truly thrash them. For the lower priced vehicles, it has been the second owner. For the Rangies it’s the third owner that got it cheap enough to modify and thrash around. I think the future for the LR brand will come down to whether the aftermarket decides to modify these vehicles and test their capabilities moving forward.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will it sell well? Looks initially
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3..PNG
to be at the level of LR4 when it was introduced but nowhere near the levels of the LR3.

Kbutler1

Reaction score
The look has started to grow on me a bit. I did drive on the other day, not very far, but did get some wheel time. The tech is really nice and it did drive well. Decking it out the way I would want it gets pricey pretty quickly. Likely just hold onto my 2014 for now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA