Is the LR4 good for daily highway travel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an estimation of how far you can go on a full tank?

My onboard readout says I get ~325 miles of range on a full tank. This is pretty consistent from tank to tank when I think to check. Other owners who run their own numbers have mentioned that the onboard calculation is a bit padded, however. It seems to be pretty accurate for me. I do most of my driving around the DC suburbs but I do love the occasional longer road trips. My point is that my usual driving patterns are not geared toward the highest fuel economy.

[Edited my original range estimate. I was out of my mind saying 360 mi/tank. I average 17 mpg]

Last edited:

Dchurch

Reaction score
We love our 2016 LR4, on pavement or not.

It's very roomy and comfortable... There are a few particular features we appreciate on the highway like; adaptive cruise, hazard alert, and blind-spot monitoring, and the Meridian sound system...

But the most unique feature is the field of view. The windows are large and tall giving the driver a commanding view of traffic. And with the roof glass it's the best sightseeing SUV out there. These were major considerations for us (along with room for our dog camping gear).

That said, if you dont need the cargo space and zipping through traffic is a more important goal there are plenty of smaller and more fuel efficient hybrid SUV's to choose from.

We bought our 2016 (Mothers Day) and have 80k miles on it by just goofing off a lot.

Good luck

Dchurch

Reaction score
I should have mentioned. We had the air suspension compressor replaced at just over 30k I believe. We use the off road lift setting almost every day because of where we live. But I understand the compressor failure is not uncommon.

FYI, We have the HD off road option. It is really nice during serious off roading, but not something needed for highway or common snow travel...

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its great in its own right but no way comparable to a full size RR for highway driving

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on on LR4. After test driving the vehicle I fell in love with it but was wondering if some of you could help me out here. I do a lot of highway travel every day and am wondering if this is the right vehicle for that type of travel. Is the LR4 a good choice vehicle for me? I realize that's a very broad question but is anyone using the vehicle for that type of travel on a daily basis?

Is price range a large factor or is design and features?

I ask because I’ve owned a new 2006 Land Cruiser, new 2007 Range Rover SC, and have had this 07 lr3 since new, now with 145,000 miles.

All 3 a great road trip vehicles but with RR winning that with zero competition. Zero, of any brand.

While newer RR are no where near price range of lr4’s, there is definitely a break point on RRovers that come into the price range.

You really should drive a few. Drive at least the last years of the previous generations as well as the first year of the most recent generation of its in your budget.

Also go drive a 200 series Land Cruiser. I think 2008 is the first year for the current 200 chassis so they’re actually coming into what I call the “value zone” for used vehicles.

If your budget is up to $40k, that actually covers quite the mix of choices. I absolutely loved my full size Supercharged RR, so much I had dreams about driving it through high Mtn trails feeling like a magic carpet ride. I know, silly, but true ;)

It was too small for my purposes though with how the seats folded. I needed the taller floor to ceiling height and flat floor in the lr3 so I sold it for $90,000 after buying it for $96.

Having the only available white w ivory color combo helped me get top dollar when usually you’d take 20% hit right off the lot.

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove a 2016 with about 30K miles on it. It was in perfect shape and is certified by the Land Rover Dealership. I just really love the style of the vehicle and have always been drawn to them.
I have a 16 also. Yours should still have a 100k factory warranty. For a premium vehicle I do not find an LR to be out of line for maintenance. I have owned many premium vehicles and this is far less maintenance than my wife’s Cayenne s. And more than her Lexus was. The surprise is that it is also less than my Ram 3500 dialysis was for maintenance. If you can afford tires and GAS, them you can afford the LR4 and it is a pleasure both daily and on long hauls

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100k warranty on what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was saying a CPO 2016 lr4 would provide 6/100 extended warranty. I think it’s 6. I opted for an aftermarket warranty sold through my local Lr dealer that actually provided extra 4/50 for total equivalent of 8/100 from original start date. Worked out perfectly for my annual mileage since I was starting to use another car often.

Most people don’t think of that math realistically and don’t get the full benefit because the 6 yr time runs out or they pay too much for more time and run out the miles early.

Mercedes has or had a cpo deal that would run out to 120 or 130,000 miles which thought was impressive.

Of course the most impressive is the vehicle where you have practically no need for the warranty ... ;)

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with most comments here...the size, heft, and construction contribute to an extremely stable and safe highway vehicle. I enjoy cruising along, nice and steady, at highway speeds. If you keep to around ~65mph or below the fuel burn is not bad at all. I'm sure if you cruise around 75-80 it may be a different story. I'm convinced the factory steps add a lot of aero drag; I removed them and installed Proud Rhino sliders recently and I did see an uptick in mileage...still collecting data to share at some point soon, but the display indicates >17 MPG and I don't do a lot of highway, maybe 35% of a tank.

Another option, which I would also recommend looking into is a 2016 Cayenne Diesel...just got one to replace my wife's QX60 in April and it is fantastic. All of the Porsche/VW diesels are CPO because of VW "dieselgate" and it has an incredibly huge 26 gallon fuel tank which gives it a range of >700 miles for combination driving. Even though it's more sporty the suspension is very compliant without being a bit wallowy (LR4) and handles road irregularities nicely (18" wheels help here, versus the 20s that are common). It's a totally different feel but I have no hesitation recommending either vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM