Is there any logic to wanting a used LR with high miles over low miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy an 09 lr3 or 10-11 lr4 if the price is right. With Land rover's well documented reliability problems, wouldn't buying a used car with high miles mean the owner trusted it to go the distance and wasn't hit left and right with small issues? Whereas a LR with low miles may be more appealing, but the owner may have simply be frustrated with it and gotten rid of it quickly.

Perhaps an 09 with low miles would be worse to own than an 11 with high miles at the same price. Or does the high mileage deter you because that may lead to a different set of repair problems?

To my thinking, your logic makes perfect sense for a MY2013 to MY2014 and 40K vs 10K miles, but for 09-11 mileage is going to be at least 60K, so long ago the initial bugs/lemons were filtered out. Around 100K+/- you get to start thinking about larger issues (tranny, differentials, etc). That said, there are a lot of happy owners on this forum (myself included, 2011 LR4 HSE-Lux). When I was on the fence, an acquaintance with a 2006 LR3 convinced me. As long as you have a certain sense of humor for minor bugs, and budget to occasionally fix major things, with just a bit of luck you will love your Rover.

A few bugs are factored into the resale prices - budget accordingly. Meanwhile, look forward to driving an amazing vehicle, and carry a good tow strap for pulling out various lessor vehicles buried up to their axles from time-to-time. :smile:

andrewmg

Reaction score
An lr4 is looking more and more like what I'm going to be getting in the next few weeks. Unless an lr3 with extremely low (under 35K) miles shows up soon.

mr.t

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new!

I am just in from the UK (live in Texas), and there may be differences with the V8 but if you have the chance of a LR4 over a LR3, I think the LR4 wins...

I know they both have reliability issues but a 3 was/is a step worse.

A friend bought a 09 Disco 3 over an 09 Disco 4 because of the $15000 price difference (Same Land Rover Dealer :stupid:)
He should have known better as he was trading in a 3.
Long story short after 7 warranty claims in 6 months he traded in and went to a Disco 4.

I have just bought a 100000 mile Disco so I have stuck my neck right out!:eek:
The reason... I had a Disco 4 SDV6 in the UK as a company car and abused it for 25000 miles with one issue (a faulty rear wiper switch from the factory)

Not sure if that helps but its an opinion and everyone has one!

Mark

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax