Is this leak coolant or transmission fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I updated this. Between kids birthday parties, vacation, and Covid, I'm just now gaining traction.

So I got the manifold off and am a bit concerned. From what I can see, it's definitely not the front crossover pipe. It's dry as a bone all around it. And to be honest, I was positive it was going to be the rear crossover pipe, and from what I can tell that's dry too. Going to try to fish a mirror back there soon to look around, but I'm beginning to get fearful of what it actually could be if not that.

Dare I say headgasket? Are the a common problem on an LR4? To date, I've had no coolant warnings, no overheating, no smoking, no misfires, check engine lights, nothing. I only stumbled upon that light dribble while changing the front diff fluid.

MJ HARRY

Reaction score
I had a mysterious leak last week and it turned out to be the front coolant crossover flange pipe (LR018275) $25 on amazon. It started as a slow leak and I did nothing for a week until it go worse. Easy replacement job. But all my fluid was from the front never the back where yours is. So yours is probably the back crossover pipe.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, but if you'll notice in my update to thread, I don't believe the leak to be the rear pipe. Its dry as a bone. So I'm trying to figure out what else could leak and run to the back of the engine.

What is the small black cable and plug that sits right behind the engine/transmission joint? Its got three torx screws on it. That seems to be pretty wet.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mean what's shown in the photo below, that is the engine oil level sensor, in the oil pan.

upload_2021-5-19_9-10-35.png

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats it. Don't think that's related then.... Question though, why is the one in this photo so wet?

Basically, mine has a drop of coolant collecting right here:

upload_2021-5-19_11-17-0.png

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats it. Don't think that's related then.... Question though, why is the one in this photo so wet?
I've got a small oil leak I'm trying to pin down. I cleaned it up and put diapers everywhere. It's been driven less than 400 miles since the cleanup (thanks, COVID) so I'm not sure if there's any visible difference, but I need to remove the panels and see what's going on. I want to pinpoint the leak source before randomly replacing parts.

upload_2021-5-19_9-48-29.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72