Is this leak coolant or transmission fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys, it always seems to happen this way. Doing routine maintenance, I always seem to find another problem.

Bought a very well maintained 2013 LR4 back in November. 82,000 miles. It's most recent service was the 80k service performed at a JLR dealer in Florida. It had a new water pump done at 60k, and first thing I did was inspect the crossover lines when I bought it. They are the new design so that tells me they were replaced at some point. However, they couldn't confirm Diff and Trans fluids had been replaced though so I did that this weekend. Well, after removing the engine shield, a small amount of fluid happened to catch my attention where the engine and trans connect. Yesterday, I wiped it off with the intention of seeing if it returned today. Well it did. This time a lot more clean. It has an orange-ish tint. Pics below. Is this coolant or trans fluid? Whatever it is, it must be a very small leak, as the under tray was dry as a bone when I removed it. And it never actually dripped in 24hrs. It even seems to be collecting on whatever that plug is as well. This was not even called out during the 80k mile service. I actually have the record. Says a full inspection was performed and this wasn't mentioned. I find it hard to believe this just occurred within 2,000 miles. If it is coolant, is there a chance its the rear cross-over line? I would bet they didn't replace that one with the water pump at 60k.

The truck was a FL truck it's whole life so possible the cold NC winter cracked a pipe?

0A51B1E0-455B-4F4E-BBDF-ABE8FA5A0C7A.jpeg

74B66695-B905-4A42-914F-BF5E547D880C.jpeg

B3EE58D7-5E83-4C58-9D60-8C6BCF971312.jpeg

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird - I first saw it Saturday when under the truck. Wiped it off and it was back on Sunday. Wiped it off again Sunday, and now its still dry today?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you drive between wiping on sunday and today?

you should be able to remove your engine cover and reach your hand back there and blindly feel around on the coolant pipe. if your hand or towel comes back with coolant on it, you know its the problem.

but, at 82k, id change it regardless.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird - I first saw it Saturday when under the truck. Wiped it off and it was back on Sunday. Wiped it off again Sunday, and now its still dry today?

agree with everyone else. This is coolant. And, if it's coolant, you know where it's coming from. And you know what you have to do.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72