Coolant Leaking from behind rear wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverTide

Reaction score
Figured I would start a new thread on my coolant leak saga... All has been well for a while, however, I walked up the driveway this afternoon and saw a coolant puddle behind the rear wheel. I realize it is under the rear heating system, but thought I would get some feedback from you guys on the best way to approach this investigation. I am just starting the research phase of understanding how the plumbing is routed back there, so in the meantime, any thoughts/tips/advice are welcome.

Rear Coolant Leak.jpg

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are lucky it is just a line.

1) Crawl under and have a look.
2) Open panel and have a look.

Report back. BTW Coolant should not be green unless they used some type of Volvo OAT coolant.

RoverTide

Reaction score
Can't see much from underneath... Muffler and heat shields in the way. But the drip is clearly making its way down, and dripping off the heat shield, just can't see where it originates. From inside, I removed the plastic panel and I do not see anything wet, so I am thinking that is a good sign. Coolant is green because I used a little coolant dye to find the previous coolant leak. I was just getting ready to do a full flush when it sprung a new leak. Hoping the dye didn't react with the coolant causing additional problems.

I am assuming I can see better by removing the plastic wheel arches and wheel well plastics. Can anyone confirm if there is a view of the coolant lines from the wheel well? or is it blocked by frame components?

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Procedure for servicing the auxiliary climate control are well laid out in the workshop manual. As are the routing of the coolant and refrigerant lines.
All connections are immediately below the loadspace floor.
Pull out the LH load space liner to confirm the location of the tubes. Myself, I would elevate the suspension as it gives me more room…. just crawl underneath at it is very clearly seen.

Last edited:

RoverTide

Reaction score
Does anyone know if coolant constantly runs through the rear heater core, no matter if the rear heat is on? Or, is there a valve that stops/starts coolant flow to the rear?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if coolant constantly runs through the rear heater core, no matter if the rear heat is on? Or, is there a valve that stops/starts coolant flow to the rear?
I don't know that answer, but if it is just a valve that shuts off the flow through that rear heater core, that doesn't mean it's shut off the circuit from the rest of the system: if there is pressure anywhere in the system, it'll try to find a way out.

Imagine a hose with a leak in it about 1/3 of the way down, and with (oddly) both ends connected to the pressurized hose bib. Pinching the hose shut at the halfway point won't stop the leak.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so @RoverTide I was admiring the color of your LR4 and went to your icon picture and went into the expanded view. That same leak seems to be present in the icon picture as well. And, from the different angle of the two photos, along with the lack of an expansion crack in the pavement of the icon photo, I have to believe these two pics were taken at different times. How long has this been an issue?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no valves in the coolant pipes, to the rear heater core.

RoverTide

Reaction score
Okay, so @RoverTide I was admiring the color of your LR4 and went to your icon picture and went into the expanded view. That same leak seems to be present in the icon picture as well. And, from the different angle of the two photos, along with the lack of an expansion crack in the pavement of the icon photo, I have to believe these two pics were taken at different times. How long has this been an issue?
You sir, are a supersleuth! That avatar pic was taken the day I bought it at the end of 2022 right after I drove it home from a car wash. So, that puddle is either drips finally making their way to the ground from the car wash, or the coolant leak has been there since I bought it. Oddly, I have never noticed any leaks in that spot until the other day, and even more strange is that there has only been a small drip since I created this thread. Thats why I was curious if there was some type of valve that stop coolant flow when I turned off the rear climate. I just can't figure out why the leak is intermittent.... But, @Rover Range just confirmed no valves.... and coolant should be flowing regardless of climate control settings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72