Is this leak coolant or transmission fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Justin Allen - Did you confirm it’s coolant in the first place? Or was that just based on everyone judging from the photo?

Coolant leaks can start and stop, but if your crossovers are dry with no residue, and your coolant level is not dropping, and you don’t smell coolant, maybe its not coolant. (You still should change the crossovers though).

Someone mentioned tranny fluid - should be a little more red I think, but something to consider given the location.

Power steering fluid might be a possibility.

I think some of the wiper fluids are orange. Not sure how it would have gotten back there - maybe leaking down through the cowl. Long shot, but easy to check.

I don’t think you have any reason at all to suspect head gaskets. If you’re leaking coolant through a head, it usually just burns up and you’ll notice a loss in coolant in the reservoir, but not drips.

Finally...maybe you ran over a juice box. If it’s not still dripping, I’d just check your fluid levels and then keep an eye on it - especially the coolant level - and not worry too much about it.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Justin Allen - Did you confirm it’s coolant in the first place? Or was that just based on everyone judging from the photo?

Coolant leaks can start and stop, but if your crossovers are dry with no residue, and your coolant level is not dropping, and you don’t smell coolant, maybe its not coolant. (You still should change the crossovers though).

Someone mentioned tranny fluid - should be a little more red I think, but something to consider given the location.

Power steering fluid might be a possibility.

I think some of the wiper fluids are orange. Not sure how it would have gotten back there - maybe leaking down through the cowl. Long shot, but easy to check.

I don’t think you have any reason at all to suspect head gaskets. If you’re leaking coolant through a head, it usually just burns up and you’ll notice a loss in coolant in the reservoir, but not drips.

Finally...maybe you ran over a juice box. If it’s not still dripping, I’d just check your fluid levels and then keep an eye on it - especially the coolant level - and not worry too much about it.

LOL. It is most definitely not oil. Its clearly visibly orange. I think its too orange to be tranny fluid.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree - not motor oil. But some PS fluid can look like that, and some tranny fluid can be more orange than red in color. I haven’t actually laid eyes on the land rover zf trans fluid, so not sure. Is it oily to the touch? Trans fluid will be oily/slippery and doesn’t evaporate, whereas coolant more like water and dries up.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZF 8 fluid is very oily and thin....it's also greenish. When used it's closer to black/green, but nowhere close to red

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original fluid in my 2010 LR4 with 6-speed was sort of a yellow-ish color with 125kmi. I don't know if that was the original color or not. If the fluid has been changed in the past, it could possibly be reddish, if you don't know exactly what was used to refill.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m relatively certain it’s not trans fluid either. It’s more watery than that. So I’m narrowed down to coolant or power steering fluid.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would believe it to be coolant and most likely from the rear crossover pipe. That's a long way to travel for power steering fluid without seeing it dripping from anywhere else.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is coolant, might also be coming from the pipes leading from the rear crossover to the heater core, or the heater core itself if there are drains dropping through the floor, although usually when a heater core goes, you can smell it in the cabin. Just brainstorming.

georgekale

Reaction score
Coolant Dye and UV light is next on your list. Also Ear Endoscope camera can help in tight spots. Pressure tester also a must.
Coolant leaks are a ***** to find. Second guessing cost money and time. I have been down that road before.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72