What kind of leak is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the intake manifold and checked the tightness of the crossover pipe bolts and they are tight. I'm not wrenching any harder on them.

Ideally I'd get a pressure tester kit to find the leak, but I don't have an air compressor. Maybe I could get an air container? Any ideas? That or start replacing parts. The n_ipple that fits on the crossover pipe that adapts the coolant hose was suspect and that part is about the same price as the coolant pressure kit from Atlantic British.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The test kit and an air tank together is about $230. It might behoove me to button it all up, let it leak with the engine running, raise the suspension and this time take off the skid plate and get under there and try to find the leak. However, I don't think the passenger side crossover pipe and stuff is visible from underneath. Does anyone know?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harbor freight has a pressure tester for $90 and an air tank for about $40.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing the procedure.

Sorry to see you’re having such a hard time, you’ve definitely invested a lot of time into this process.

Harbor freight has a pressure tester that’s fairly cheap and doesn’t require an air compressor. It’s just a hand pump - give that a shot.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been taking longer than I'd like, but it isn't that bad. Its good practice. I haven't worked on cars since I had my C6 Z06 and that was mostly brake work. My mistake was not doing the pressure test and rolling the dice lol. I see this kit here from Harbor Freight and it looks like the one with a hand pump. Thanks for the tip.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up the pressure tester and gave the hose fitting on the passenger side that fits to the crossover pipe as much force as I could muster so that fitting would seat better. That connector I felt was suspect. I didn't feel it budge and it was wet there.
Then I topped off coolant and gave the pressure tester a lot of pumps. It does take effort, lol. 15 PSI is what it reached with breaks and then I took a 30 min break since I didn't see any leaks. I came back and the pressure was at 0 PSI. I wasn't hopeful, but I fired it up and no leakage and no codes. I ran through the bleed procedure in the service manual and the last step is to let it cool and check for leaks.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, we need an update / final report. How’s it running? Any leaks? Job complete?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been running w/out leaking most of the time. There was one instance where I looked underneath and it was dripping. At first I thought it was from the AC, but the drops were too far back for it to be condensation from the AC.

It had been a full week w/out any leaks up to that point. So I went to order the hose that comes with the ****** I needed and never went through with it. Its been another week and a half and it hasn't leaked a drop. I don't think it is fixed until I figure out that stupid fitting on the passenger side rear crossover pipe, but it isn't leaking lol. Using a hose clamp like they did for the other connection would have been too easy. It was 118F out yesterday and no leaks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72