Just bought Disco problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disco110592

Reaction score
Hi. I just last week bought a 1996 Disco. I took the car to my local garage to be checked out and they came back that the following items had problems or would need to be replaced:

Disel filter
Air filter
Both front roll bar arms
Shock absorber bushes
Offside cill needs welding
Near side front stub axel locking
And the front prop shaft is about to go.

After contacting the garage I bought it from they said that I could get my money back on the car. The garage that checked it out said that the engine on it was in good nick and the chasis isn't bad. The question I wanted to ask is that I know Disco's have dodgey reliability so is this just a Disco being a Disco or am I just better off getting my money back and trying again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... I guess it depends on how much you spent on it and how much you want to put into it... but I am sure any 14 year old vehicle you would buy is going to have similar issues unless someone has taken good care of it...

Disco110592

Reaction score
Thanks, I spent £2000 on it and in terms off how much more I want to spend. I plan on kitting it out for offroading just not all in one go.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought Disco problems

Hi. I just last week bought a 1996 Disco. I took the car to my local garage to be checked out and they came back that the following items had problems or would need to be replaced:

Disel filter
Air filter
Both front roll bar arms
Shock absorber bushes
Offside cill needs welding........................................................ I assume cabin Roof welding? Ouch!

After contacting the garage I bought it from they said that I could get my money back on the car. The garage that checked it out said that the engine on it was in good nick and the chasis isn't bad. The question I wanted to ask is that I know Disco's have dodgey reliability so is this just a Disco being a Disco or am I just better off getting my money back and trying again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That many problems with a new used vehicle, No doubt, I’d get my money back, you’re inheriting someone else’s problems.

Best wishes……………………. Chongo
:bandit:

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Disel filter
Air filter
Both front roll bar arms
Shock absorber bushes
Offside cill needs welding

Well, what you've listed isn't too bad.

For parts:
Disel filter -- A few quid - easy DIY
Air filter -- A few quid - easy DIY
Both front roll bar arms - Is it the whole arms or just bushings. Not needed unless required by the MOT
Shock absorber bushes - A few quid - easy DIY
Offside cill needs welding - You mean the door sill? Hard to say how much money, depends on how bad it is.
Near side front stub axel locking - Not sure what you mean by "locking"
And the front prop shaft is about to go. -- Maybe 40 quid if you do it yourself. Don't know how much if you have to pay someone.

If you're going to off-road it, I'd certainly consider doing all the repairs yourself (except maybe the welding) as it will stand you in good stead for breakdowns when you're in the country.

Disco110592

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Got the propshaft done now so at least it's back on the road.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure everything under the bonnet is in working order, carry a complete spare Rover in the boot. Don't foreget to carry a big tommy bar should you wish to ends it's life.
A love / hate thing owning a Rover, once you have it try to find another sucker that will buy it my friends keep telling me. With my 69 Ford truck that I run hard being a hot rodder i'm on my second motor still and at 922K miles, there must be a reason?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72