Just bought my first Land Rover....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drew

Reaction score
(I'm a Land Rover newb, but I have intermediate automotive knowledge.)

So, I just purchased my first Land Rover. It's a 2005 LR3 SE with 4.4L. Right after I got 10 miles from the dealership, the suspension light, hazard light with arrows around it, abs and brake light all light up amber. I pull over, shut the thing off and back on. Same thing, the suspension will not raise either. I get back on the freeway and then the check engine light comes on. I pull back over, turn the car off and back on. Still have all of the same lights illuminated.

I manage to get it to an autozone to have them pull the codes and there is only a single code P0741 TCCM Stuck off. I have no clue what that is, so I drive home and park it on our inclined driveway. I go back out about 3 hours later and there's water leaking from the rear of the passenger side door....The floor is SOAKED....I've researched and found out about the sunroof drain issue and believe that to be the problem for all of the water in the carpet and padding....I believe I've managed to dry everything out....pulled as many seats as I could and rented 2 airmovers...

I disconnected the battery and reconnected after about 10 minutes.(battery is a year old) Codes still show up. Now i'm noticing a slight jump in the tach as I'm driving a constant speed...Wouldn't that be indicitive of a faulty torque converter or a slipping clutch? The tach seems to jump in all gears.

Any suggestions? I can't return the vehicle, because it was purchased as-is.

Please help!

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery and connect the + and - cable terminals together (you'll need a stretch of wire; I'd use a jumper cable) for 2 minutes. That will reset codes.

Continue drying out the carpet. Then you'll want to pull up that carpet and find any corrosion in the mass of wires that run along the door on the passenger side. There are lots of posts on this site and others about this.

TCCM is the Transfer Case Control Module. It could need replaced, but I'd start with the wires. You will want to make sure your sunroof drains are clear and that your windshield cowling is not warped (another point of water ingress).

A new brake switch would also be a good idea. Painful but fairly cheap/easy fixes. Buy yourself an IIDTool from Gap Diagnostics, too. Very helpful.

I would've turned that baby around and went back to the dealer. As-is or not, 10 miles away means about 15 minutes and the ink was probably not even dry on the paperwork!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the turn right around thing. As-is does not mean taped together until you leave the lot. Unless they explicitly said that this thing is going to be a nightmare and we won't cover anything, there should be some sort of reasonable expectation law that would cover you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo