Just installed Cooper S/T Maxx tires on 18" BMW wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their site is still at least a little wonky, as it's trying to add VAT to the order, which anyone ordering in America shouldn't have to pay. That added almost 300 euros to the price

I bet it's a glitch as some countries hve the vat, then again, maybe the trade BS going on changed it for us. What I like about those 18" are the super easy to clean design. The compos look fine but have a lot of little nooks for mud and snow to just sit which is no fun back on the highway.

The really awesome ones though are those 17x8

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the same tires on my LR3 in 265/70/18. I’ve really like them on the trail but haven’t had much time in the snow with them yet. They can’t be too bad given that half the trucks at the ski resort I work for have them installed. I did take a decent MPG hit, but there might be some other factors at play. They are .7” larger than the tires they replaced and new rubber stinks, so the full size spare ended up on the roof rack.

I looked at some 17” BMW wheels before I bought new tires. Ultimately I decided against it because I could not find a weight rating and the vehicles I found that came with the 17’s were significantly less weight than mine. It’s just stupid money that those import wheels cost!

I’m sure others are just speaking out of an abundance of caution, but I think sometimes they go a little overboard. I once started a thread asking why everyone seemed to insist you need E rated tires since they carry a load rating nearly double the GVWR of the LR3. I was a little surprised at how many people NEEDED to be prepared to drive on 2 wheels.

Short story long, I think you’re going to be just fine on your Bimmer rims.

patski

Reaction score
I have BMW X5 Wheels on my 2007 LR3 with 245/60R-18 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK DM-V2s. Plenty of fender clearance but I didn't go for an oversized tire. Been running them in the winter since 2010. $275 on the San Jose Craigslist. Strangely I don't have any good picts of the wheels in the snow. They've taken a beating over the years but lot's of "Wow!" comments when people notice the roundel.

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_4945.jpg

IMG_4975.jpg

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a little surprised at how many people NEEDED to be prepared to drive on 2 wheels.

LOL yes but it’s not so much about “2 wheels” (which I’ve experienced sereval time just last month), it’s about 7000-8000 lbs on tires dropped to 24psi and rolling in sharper objects than mall curbs.

There is a lot more benefit in E tire construction than just the resulting load rating. Just one example is my lr3 at 80 mph on a canyon interstate curve where 40-42 psi on xl tires would simply suck ass for handling stability.

My point about the bmw wheels is getting knocked against rocks or root balls off-road is probably not so good for them. I doubt they’d have any issue on highways. They look good too.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sure others are just speaking out of an abundance of caution, but I think sometimes they go a little overboard. I once started a thread asking why everyone seemed to insist you need E rated tires since they carry a load rating nearly double the GVWR of the LR3. I was a little surprised at how many people NEEDED to be prepared to drive on 2 wheels.

E-ratng is just as much or more about sidewall strength as it is load rating. If someone goes through all the trouble to get 18" wheels for an LR4--which either requires a great bit of expense (Compomotives or MudTechs) or a good bit of compromise (LR3 wheels + spacers)--it would be all for naught if they just got LT-rated tires. The entire point of 18" wheels is to open up the door to better tires with stronger sidewalls more suitable for off-road travel generally and off-road tire pressures and sharp rocks more specifically.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL yes but it’s not so much about “2 wheels” (which I’ve experienced sereval time just last month), it’s about 7000-8000 lbs on tires dropped to 24psi and rolling in sharper objects than mall curbs.

There is a lot more benefit in E tire construction than just the resulting load rating. Just one example is my lr3 at 80 mph on a canyon interstate curve where 40-42 psi on xl tires would simply suck ass for handling stability.

My point about the bmw wheels is getting knocked against rocks or root balls off-road is probably not so good for them. I doubt they’d have any issue on highways. They look good too.

Look, I understand all of what you are saying and I’m not saying you’re wrong. I do, however, have counter points.

I live in Utah and commute in the mountains. I have driven my LR3 at 80 on canyon interstates. The weight rating of the tires is not the weak link in the handle of equation.

I destroyed 3 tires in the month of July, 2 on the same day/trail (although one doesn’t REALLY count because it was an ill prepared spare). A poorly chosen line will destroy ANY wheel and/or tire fast, regardless of the name printed on it.

24psi on any tire that’s not underrated for the LR3 is hardly bulging.

I get that cross articulation will put the majority of weight on 2 wheels, but all the weight?

If you are loading your 3 to 8000 ponds, you have now exceeded the weight the designers have rated the vehicle to handle.

Given that he stated he’s a light wheeler, which you probably don’t claim, I’m pretty sure the rims are adequate.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E-ratng is just as much or more about sidewall strength as it is load rating. If someone goes through all the trouble to get 18" wheels for an LR4--which either requires a great bit of expense (Compomotives or MudTechs) or a good bit of compromise (LR3 wheels + spacers)--it would be all for naught if they just got LT-rated tires. The entire point of 18" wheels is to open up the door to better tires with stronger sidewalls more suitable for off-road travel generally and off-road tire pressures and sharp rocks more specifically.

You missed my point...

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that cross articulation will put the majority of weight on 2 wheels, but all the weight

um, yes. Have you not seen a cross axle wobble? ;) It's also about the amount when in extreme side load even if only 30% per tire which could then be 2100 lbs but in a force direction not intended. I'm not a fan of using much of anything at or beyond it's actual designed rating - except for the rover itself LOL The worst case though on the GVWR is the bushings and struts will be shot sooner or could even simply explode.

Being that the lr3/4 is one of the coolest and rare engineering combinations of ladder frame + unibody, I'm not worried one bit about it's overall strength.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the same tires on my LR3 in 265/70/18. I’ve really like them on the trail but haven’t had much time in the snow with them yet. They can’t be too bad given that half the trucks at the ski resort I work for have them installed. I did take a decent MPG hit, but there might be some other factors at play. They are .7” larger than the tires they replaced and new rubber stinks, so the full size spare ended up on the roof rack.

I bet that looks awesome! Which resort are you at? I'm on an epic pass this year and plan to make good use of it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV