Just installed Cooper S/T Maxx tires on 18" BMW wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet that looks awesome! Which resort are you at? I'm on an epic pass this year and plan to make good use of it!
I think it looks ok. I have it set to 1-1.5” of lift.
d5162e8cc4b6f3076b3e8d4c01d4307f.jpg

I work at Park City on the Canyons Village side, so I am also Epic! I rode some 365k vertical feet on lifts last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
um, yes. Have you not seen a cross axle wobble? ;) It's also about the amount when in extreme side load even if only 30% per tire which could then be 2100 lbs but in a force direction not intended. I'm not a fan of using much of anything at or beyond it's actual designed rating - except for the rover itself LOL The worst case though on the GVWR is the bushings and struts will be shot sooner or could even simply explode.

Being that the lr3/4 is one of the coolest and rare engineering combinations of ladder frame + unibody, I'm not worried one bit about it's overall strength.
Let me get this straight, it’s ok for you to overload the whole rig, but if someone else uses a POTENTIALLY substandard part for YOUR style of wheeling we need to call them out? I’m not trying to be a ****, that’s just how I am understanding what you are saying.

Overloading the vehicle is not about wearing out bushings, you drive on two wheels, it’s going to happen even faster than usual. I’m talking about safety. The brakes on the LR are pretty darn good. Add larger tires which will increase the leverage applied to the brakes and decreased rotor size in your case which will decrease the amount of leverage your brakes can apply. I personally noticed a significant decrease in brake performance when I went from the tires my 3 came with to the nearly 33” tires I have now. It went from slam you through the windshield, to “oh crap, that was close!” You’ve already admitted you push it pretty ******* the interstate.

The E rated tire comment was off hand remark to prove a point. It wasn’t meant to start up a debate on the pros and cons. It was meant to illustrate that some people insist you need to do what they do, for the reasons they do it, even though it’s not necessary for everyone.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome! I'll keep an eye out for your rig at the slopes. Im an hour east of Breck/keystone/abay in Colorado. Hit me up if you end up out this way, I've got loads of space.

I think it looks ok. I have it set to 1-1.5” of lift.
d5162e8cc4b6f3076b3e8d4c01d4307f.jpg

I work at Park City on the Canyons Village side, so I am also Epic! I rode some 365k vertical feet on lifts last year.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I did. What is your point?
See below...

I wasn’t trying to say the OP shouldn’t have gotten E rated tires.

The E rated tire comment was off hand remark to prove a point. It wasn’t meant to start up a debate on the pros and cons. It was meant to illustrate that some people insist you need to do what they do, for the reasons they do it, even though it’s not necessary for everyone.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me get this straight, it’s ok for you to overload the whole rig, but if someone else uses a POTENTIALLY substandard part for YOUR style of wheeling we need to call them out? I’m not trying to be a ****, that’s just how I am understanding what you are saying.

LOL What do you think a D110 weighs on big outings....

Well, it's about 100% easy/no-brainer to just buy better tires.

Please do tell me how I can as easily just buy a vehicle that is gvwr for 8000+ lbs that is not a full size truck....

.... yeah, it's a ridiculous comparison. It is also misunderstanding the comparative issues of vehicle gvwr/real world uses vs tire load range & construction. It is practically the same cost to simply have far better tires that of course will handle even the factory weight much better in all scenarios.

Your post suggests you're stuck on load range as opposed to the full scope of benefits an E load tire provides. LT tires in off road trails are just dumb.

None of this is about MY "style of wheeling". It's about people being too cheap to just put better **** on the vehicle yet feeling compelled to spend $ on a more expensive vehicle up front... LOL

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m talking about safety.

more LOL yet you're going to roll around at 1-1.5" "lift" for no apparent reason...? Do you like more brake dive or is it the body sway they you want more of by rolling "lifted"?

Just poking fun here but seriously, you're going to go on about braking performance due to tire size yet use any lift on the road? I've NEVER had a moment of "oh that was close", never.

I've also tested these for panic stop performance as well as just solid high speed to stop on downslope. The tire size and weight makes a massively bigger effect on it than the vehicle weight. This is no surprise though. Brake performance is more about the pads and rotational weight in ones perception than total weight in addition to tire traction.

My Michelin ms2 both weighing much less, having 2" smaller diameter and better pavement tread traction, will stop like face plant to dash no problem. The BFG km2 however are massively heavier, 2" larger and terrible tread for asphalt traction. The weight of them though is insane and instantly noticed just rolling around the block.

Mark Lyons

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Range Rover vogue td?v8 typical tyre size 255/55 R 19, anyone know if I can it 20 “ tryes or the ones deceived in the post. In mud and snow find the tryes I have don’t really grip currently I use
Ultrac Vorti pattern in 111 Y XL.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more LOL yet you're going to roll around at 1-1.5" "lift" for no apparent reason...? Do you like more brake dive or is it the body sway they you want more of by rolling "lifted"?

Just poking fun here but seriously, you're going to go on about braking performance due to tire size yet use any lift on the road? I've NEVER had a moment of "oh that was close", never.

I've also tested these for panic stop performance as well as just solid high speed to stop on downslope. The tire size and weight makes a massively bigger effect on it than the vehicle weight. This is no surprise though. Brake performance is more about the pads and rotational weight in ones perception than total weight in addition to tire traction.

My Michelin ms2 both weighing much less, having 2" smaller diameter and better pavement tread traction, will stop like face plant to dash no problem. The BFG km2 however are massively heavier, 2" larger and terrible tread for asphalt traction. The weight of them though is insane and instantly noticed just rolling around the block.
Are you intentionally ignoring the relevant bits to continue to argue?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA