Just installed Cooper S/T Maxx tires on 18" BMW wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had an lr4, and I probably will at some point, I'd make the brake conversion to 17" as high a priority as adding a 2nd battery and skid plates.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are wheels breaking/failing on the LR3/LR4's? Just curious.

No. But people who like to drive offroad really want 18" wheels, as it opens up a host of options for superior tires for the purpose. The difficulty lies in finding 18" wheels that fit over the LR4's brake calipers.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-this is why i really like the path of choosing higher rated wheels like the compos and those sold by mudtech rather than going backwards by even the smallest %. I wouldn't attribute "more metal" in any wheel to inherent strength considering that forged wheels have less material while being much stronger.

I am likely going to try the 17" raid wheels on mudtech seeing as I've already done the 17" brake size conversion. The factory 17's I have were sourced specifically for winter tires being only 7" wide yet ideal for that application whereas these "raid" wheels are 8" wide and suited to something like a 285/75-17 34" tire.

This 33-34"size seriously transforms the capability in higher articulations and well as all running clearances such as approach, breakover, departure and dramatic reduction in high centering.

Good luck getting Mudtech to give a damn about selling their wheels in the U.S. I like the looks of them a lot more than the Compomotives, but every time I've tried to figure out costs and shipping, they respond to my first email, tell me they'll get me prices, then just ghost me.

I've also read somewhere that swapping the LR4 rotors and calipers to a smaller size is a no go. I think Scott Brady posted it in the build thread for the ExPo LR4. If I recall, he was purportedly told by Land Rover that it would jack up the traction control systems. I'm not sure I buy that. It's probably something that someone will try when the LR4's drop in price enough to be a platform for more experimentation.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I buy that.
Agreed, nonsense that's just easier for a dealer to say so as to stay out of liability. If this idea had any basis whatsoever, nobody would be upgrading countless BMW AUDI etc etc etc cars to "big brake" kits all on cars with ABS. Scott Brady comes across as a fantastic social media marketer (with arguably far better people skills than me...LOL) but not really willing to press boundaries very much. That lr4 'build' is weak considering it's supposed to be some sort of example. It's even using lame wheel spacers which result in crap offset clearance issues.

Mudtech quoted me pricing at one time but yeah they're slow

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out the load rating of the Style 99 wheels. I can find some pictures with numbers forged into the wheels, but they don't seem to mean anything in terms of specs. See this eBay listing, for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X5-18-...rentrq:159e61021670aa11ca0c9313fffa0cb2|iid:1

That appears to be all that's forged inside the back of the spokes. I have read, however, that the weight rating could also be inside the rim. I have yet to find any picture of that.

As BikePilot said, the manufacturer is Ronal. Can't find anything on the Style 99 wheels that route, but can see the ratings on some of their other wheels:

https://www.ronal-wheels.com/int/configurator#38400335!D786A7C

This wheel (the Speedline Corse) has a spoke width most similar to the Style 99 (though still not quite as wide), and it is rated at 1,000 kgs.

https://www.ronal-wheels.com/int/configurator#38400353!0D38EE5

That's roughly equivalent to a little over 2,200 lbs. Still, that wheel does not appear to be as substantial as the Style 99 wheel.

The search continues.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps send a pic and a nice question to Ronal?

I thought about it, but the contact page on the Ronal website specifically says to direct all questions about the OEM wheels they manufacture to the respective vehicle manufacturer they supplied the wheels to. Must get tired of answering similar questions.

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck getting Mudtech to give a damn about selling their wheels in the U.S. I like the looks of them a lot more than the Compomotives, but every time I've tried to figure out costs and shipping, they respond to my first email, tell me they'll get me prices, then just ghost me.

I've also read somewhere that swapping the LR4 rotors and calipers to a smaller size is a no go. I think Scott Brady posted it in the build thread for the ExPo LR4. If I recall, he was purportedly told by Land Rover that it would jack up the traction control systems. I'm not sure I buy that. It's probably something that someone will try when the LR4's drop in price enough to be a platform for more experimentation.
I went on the mudtech site and had a quote with delivery to Texas in seconds. with conversion it's 2200 US total. was just over 300 per wheel plus shipping, duties and tax = $2200.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went on the mudtech site and had a quote with delivery to Texas in seconds. with conversion it's 2200 US total. was just over 300 per wheel plus shipping, duties and tax = $2200.

They must have changed their site. It used to require contacting them to find out prices and shipping.

I'm looking at it and getting 2,200 euros, or a little over 2,500 dollars. Not sure I like them that much more than the Compos, which you can get delivered for around 2100.

EDIT: Hmm. Their site is still at least a little wonky, as it's trying to add VAT to the order, which anyone ordering in America shouldn't have to pay. That added almost 300 euros to the price.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72