Key Fob Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s3hooligan

Reaction score
Hey guys, just checking to see if anyone has been able to replace their key fob battery without going to the stealer. I did a YouTube search a and Google search and can't find anything on how to replace without doing some sodering on the circuit board. Just don't want to shell out $200 for a key new key fob. Current one is intermittently not opening the door and getting worse.

Thanks,
2006 LR3 SE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hushdc4

Reaction score
I had the same problem, I quoted the dealer and they said it would cost me about $300. But I replaced mine awhile ago. My key fob would work intermittently. And what worked for me was I would have to smack the key fob a couple times to unlock the doors. I also did a lot of researching on google. Soldering isn't that bad. I'm assuming you also know that you end up destroying your key fob to get to the battery so you will have to get a replacement. I purchased mine on amazon.

When I popped mine open after hacking away carefully with a hack saw blade, I found that the tab on the battery connected to the circuit board was loose. Which explained a lot as to why it would intermittently work. I'm guessing that when the key fob is accidentally dropped so many times it slowly worked itself loose. That's my guess.

So to prevent that from happening in the future I decided to remove the tabs and replace them with a small gauge wire. Not sure what size but it was small enough to fit in the holes on the circuit board. I soldered it on there, let it cool and gave it a tug to make sure it wouldn't pop off. I then soldered the other ends of the wire directly on to the battery. Which I hope will prevent it from coming loose in the future. So far its held up fine and works perfect now.

s3hooligan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yep, smacking the fob is the only way it works sometimes. Which sounds like it may be more of a lose connection issue than a battery issue. Seems like LR has made things much more difficult than they need to be.

Time to get out the hacksaw and soldering iron....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM