Key fobs / keyless entry not working after water intrusion and soaking wet floor mats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spookie721

Reaction score
Good day. The post is intended to sum up my experience with a leak in my LR3, resulting in soaking wet floor mats and my key fobs / keyless entry suddenly not working. There are great posts out there but all over the place with most of the pics not working. So with great thanks to all previous authors, I’d like to sum up.

1. We had heavy rainfall for days and somehow there was water coming into the cabin of the rover. This post will not cover the leak or if the water came through the sunroof or the window seal. I will talk about the key fobs not working only.
2. Right after assessing the water problem I noted that neither of my two key fobs wouldn’t work.
3. After long research I opened the passenger (right) side cable channel in the floor next to the passenger door. It took a while to get all these stiff plastic pieces out, but you will be able to do it.
4. I also opened the driver side (left) and dried all the cable in there. There is not splice with a green/white cable. Don’t waste your time looking in there.
5. In there you will find an about 1 inch thick cable. Mine was soaked. You have to peal of the black electric tape to free the entire bunch. Right after I took all these cables in my hand I noticed the famous green/white cable splice that came apart in the water.
6. Fix it as you can see fit. The key fob/keyless entry will work right away.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• Green White wire splice IMG_1318.jpg
    Green White wire splice IMG_1318.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Passesnger side LHD.jpg
    Passesnger side LHD.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Green White wire splice IMG_1317.jpg
    Green White wire splice IMG_1317.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 152
  • normal_Heatshrink Rear.JPG
    normal_Heatshrink Rear.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 127

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like the water ingress is due to the cowl leaking, was your cabin air filter also wet?

You can fit a new cowl, and silicon it down there. It will warp again, just above the cabin air inlet and water will leak in.

That's kind of what it sounds like, the information you provided is great.

jayrod422

Reaction score
i had the same problem. also there is a red cable in there that is also spliced. when this splice went i was getting all sort of errors consisting of hdc failure, transmission failure, and brake light issues. why they used ****** TAPE for these splices is beyond me.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The leak could also be in the drain tube on the passenger side. Mine rotted on my last LR3 and it had to be replaced. It would pour water onto my passenger side floorboard during heavy rains. Think $350...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV