large noise from cooling fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When cold start the truck and driving until it changes to second gear, the cooling fan always making huge noises. What I mean is the cooling fan is working sooo hard when the truck is cold and in first gear. BTW, my old LR3 has this "problem" too.

As the LR3, the LR4's cooling fan is powered by the engine, not electronic motor. Don't know that has anything to do with this.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When cold start the truck and driving until it changes to second gear, the cooling fan always making huge noises. What I mean is the cooling fan is working sooo hard when the truck is cold and in first gear. BTW, my old LR3 has this "problem" too.

As the LR3, the LR4's cooling fan is powered by the engine, not electronic motor. Don't know that has anything to do with this.

I'm not sure I'm experiencing the same issue but my LR4 is definitely louder in the morning while it's cold. I think it may just appear quieter in 2nd gear as road/wind noise drowns out the engine noise. Just my opinion though.

Secretly I was wishing it would sound like this all of the time.

Marty

txtumbleweed

Reaction score
Many viscous fan clutches make a "roaring" sound when first started after they have sat overnight (or for a few days). This simply means the fan is fully engaged until the fluid in the clutch has been properly redistributed once the engine starts. Typically, the fan roar will go away within a minute or so of normal operations,

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the fan clutch engages, it's pretty loud on any car with this set-up. Normal. There is no electric cooling fan, which are quieter, but not great if you're in the desert. But if your clutch fan is engaging on a cold day, something isn't right. But if it's blazing hot out, and you start your truck (which you may consider a cold start) the fan will engage and go off once the engine is cooled down.

Last edited:

TangoRed

Reaction score
My old 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 had this exact same setup. It would roar for the first minute or so and then go away by the time i got up enough speed to go into second. It sounded awesome.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 had this exact same setup. It would roar for the first minute or so and then go away by the time i got up enough speed to go into second. It sounded awesome.

I scared a parking attendent in the garage a few weeks ago. That was pretty awesome. I did apologize....sort of...

Marty

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635