Latest recommendations for front bumpers?

Trending front bumpers

• ARB

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Tactical Rovers

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Proud Rhino

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Torque Performance 4x4

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First picture shows how I had to lengthen the cutout to accommodate the winch clutch lever, as well as the notch cut out of the grill. I wish in retrospect that I had angled the corners of the grille cutout. You can only see them from one angle, but if I had angled the corners, it would be invisible.

The blue lines coming out are my air line extensions I can use to manually inflate the front struts in the event of suspension failure. These used to live behind the grille, but the cutting left me with a nice place to make them more accessible in case they are needed.
20200208_234905.jpg

Second picture shows that I had to cut the thin piece behind the winch opening, as well as notch cut the front of the bumper to accommodate the winch. The cross-bars on the winch are just wider than the standard opening.

I will take the bumper off at some point in the future to have it powder coated again. I just hit it with krylon for the time being to keep the rust off. I admittedly suck with a grinding cut-off wheel, but in person it looks passable. When I get it powder coated again I will have someone that is proficient smooth it out and deburr the edges before it gets coated again. Probably less than 45 minutes of their time, I would guess.
20200208_103017.jpg

If you attempt this project, just do this with the nuts for the bumper shell bolts. Trust me. $20 bucks at a local welding shop will save you all kinds of grief trying to get a tool on those nuts with the bumper shell mounted. Did I mention that a smokingly hot MILFY chic in yoga pants did the welding for me...
20200208_102132.jpg

These are why Tactical Rovers "strongly recommends" you replace the factory hardware with grade 8 bits. These are what is holding your winch tray to your Rover if you don't replace them.
20200208_105443.jpg

And in fairness to Tactical Rovers (which I am very happy with) I should note that if you have the later revision of their front bumper, then none of this should be necessary.

Last edited:

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you like your visionx spot lamps? I'm looking at installing some on the ARB bumper before its bolted on and not sure I want $$$$ ARB lamps.

Also, anyone have a clear picture of the firewall access into cabin? I think I've located the grommet but damn my fat hands aren't going to reach that.
I'm thinking about a wireless switch for front lamps paired with a homelink button but need to run the CB antenna cable into cabin.

I am pleased with them. I went with them on the recommendation of a local shop.

I too was looking at the ARB lights, and heaven knows I have spent all kinds of $$$ on this truck, but the cost/value just seemed out of whack on the ARB lights.

Anecdotally, I can read a newspaper from at least a quarter mile away using the VisionX lights. They also have various spot/flood covers available if that is your thing.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my ARB lights. I got the big ones and they have an amazing crisp beam. I got one of each, spot/flood.. the spot is 5 degree beam.. very tight and the 'flood' is hardly floody.. 10 degree beam. They are worth the money, but very expensive so the visionx are probably good also.

And.. if anyone else wants a warn 10k or 12k winch, the arb summit bar supports either without any mods. You just need a short relocation kit because the solenoid control pack thing mounts just above the winch body.

Rob_Chase26

Reaction score
Tactical Rover all the way IMO. All 3 bumpers allow you to keep the options you are looking to retain. I was able to see the ARB, proud rhino and tactical up close and chose the tactical because the winch tray sits up higher, has a better approach compared to the ARB (proud rhino is about the same) and I was able to speak to Eric (the owner) about it in depth. He will also mod it to your liking in the event you want something custom done to it and....Made in the USA!!! I had the option to have the sensor holes but opted against it as I was looking for functionality first. When I first started looking I almost pulled the trigger on the ARB, but was too bulbous for my liking. Best of luck!!!!
What made you decide on the tactical 4x4 as opposed to the proud rhino? They seem very similar other than the winch location.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What made you decide on the tactical 4x4 as opposed to the proud rhino? They seem very similar other than the winch location.
Winch location being higher was key for me, other than that, I just liked the way it looked and the overall craftsmanship. I purchased my sliders and rear bumper from T44 and it was just a natural progression to get the from bumper from them

bdd123

Reaction score
Seems like the most appropriate thread to talk front bumpers.

Tactical and Proud Rhino are both in a trail category for me. Likely better for getting your vehicle up a big step and taking the bruising of doing so. Tactical looks like a snow plow on the front of a classy vehicle, Proud Rhino looks like it is half built, but great approach angles. If I were to choose a trail basher, I would do proud rhino or Lucky8 CFE.

The ARB Summit just looks so much more appropriate for the LR4 and the cost of $$$ and approach angle.

I would like to hear personal experiences with painting or powder coating the ARB to the body color, people have told me leave the ARB finish alone.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a gentleman on the Lr3/4 facebook group with an ARB painted or powder coated to go with his Fuji white. It looks good.

I strongly considered it, but I thought for my uses it would just end up pinstriped anyway.

bdd123

Reaction score
I think, if I can find one, that I will go for it, if not I will pull the body colored fender flares and put on black.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi