Latest recommendations for front bumpers?

Trending front bumpers

• ARB

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Tactical Rovers

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Proud Rhino

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Torque Performance 4x4

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not often that a project on my Rover goes much easier than expected, but this was one of those times.

I stepped my drill bit size for the remaining seven holes down to 7/16 and the weld nuts all popped right off without any drama. So, I will have seven of one size and one of the other, but leaving a little more material on the frame mounting flanges makes me feel a little bit better.

The 7/16 bolts are still going to work out to almost half again as large as the original 8 mm factory bolts.

Bottom right hole in the first picture is 1/2, all others are 7/16.

Acquired grade 8 hardware from Fastenal, and starting the POR 15 process now.

20200203_112802.jpg

20200203_112754.jpg

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not often that a project on my Rover goes much easier than expected, but this was one of those times.

I stepped my drill bit size for the remaining seven holes down to 7/16 and the weld nuts all popped right off without any drama. So, I will have seven of one size and one of the other, but leaving a little more material on the frame mounting flanges makes me feel a little bit better.

The 7/16 bolts are still going to work out to almost half again as large as the original 8 mm factory bolts.

Bottom right hole in the first picture is 1/2, all others are 7/16.

Acquired grade 8 hardware from Fastenal, and starting the POR 15 process now.

View attachment 10614

View attachment 10613
HELL YEAH!

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my install is turning into a bit of science project.

The tray is mounted with the grade 8 hardware now, but that turned out to be the easy part.

I went to drop the winch in and no dice. Tray was just a bit too narrow. I had to persuade it into a more welcoming state of mind with a few taps from a 5 pound hand sledge. It is in now, but damned if I didn't scratch up my nice new winch in a couple of places. The next problem that presented itself was that there is no way my existing hardware to mount the shell to the winch tray is going to work. The winch motor and gear case butt almost right up against the shell mounting points and the fairlead mounting points.

At that point I gave Tactical Rovers a call, and it turns out they did increase the width of their winch tray at some point, and also added welded in place thin jam nuts to avoid this issue. One of the downsides of being an early adopter, I guess.

This probably accounts for why you are able to fit a winch cover in yours. No way one is gong to be able to go on mine. My grille will also require a more invasive surgery, I think, unless I go with mounting the control unit in a remote location.

Pausing now while I wait for some half width grade 8 nuts to arrive to see if I can get them in place to mount the shell.

The devil is always in the details.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my install is turning into a bit of science project.

The tray is mounted with the grade 8 hardware now, but that turned out to be the easy part.

I went to drop the winch in and no dice. Tray was just a bit too narrow. I had to persuade it into a more welcoming state of mind with a few taps from a 5 pound hand sledge. It is in now, but damned if I didn't scratch up my nice new winch in a couple of places. The next problem that presented itself was that there is no way my existing hardware to mount the shell to the winch tray is going to work. The winch motor and gear case butt almost right up against the shell mounting points and the fairlead mounting points.

At that point I gave Tactical Rovers a call, and it turns out they did increase the width of their winch tray at some point, and also added welded in place thin jam nuts to avoid this issue. One of the downsides of being an early adopter, I guess.

This probably accounts for why you are able to fit a winch cover in yours. No way one is gong to be able to go on mine. My grille will also require a more invasive surgery, I think, unless I go with mounting the control unit in a remote location.

Pausing now while I wait for some half width grade 8 nuts to arrive to see if I can get them in place to mount the shell.

The devil is always in the details.
Ah...didn't even think about that. I called Eric before purchasing the bumper to ensure the 12k Warn would fit.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah...didn't even think about that. I called Eric before purchasing the bumper to ensure the 12k Warn would fit.

Oh, don't you worry. It's going to fit. My angle grinder is salivating....

Eric did have a slight chuckle when I said 8 year old bumper and 12,000 be pound winch.

Oddboy

Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on what the Voyager Offroad LR4 Hidden Winch Mount even does? From the photos found here, the only noticeable difference is the skid-plate just under the winch opening.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can now confirm that you can fit a 12,000 pound Warn Zeon in a first generation Tactical Rovers bumper.

The caveat is that if you are faint of heart, or not comfortable cutting, grinding, and welding on your Rover then this is not the project for you.

If anyone is interested, I can post more details.

20200208_234813.jpg

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can now confirm that you can fit a 12,000 pound Warn Zeon in a first generation Tactical Rovers bumper.

The caveat is that if you are faint of heart, or not comfortable cutting, grinding, and welding on your Rover then this is not the project for you.

View attachment 10630
HELL YEAH! Great work!

d3lux06

Reaction score

View attachment 10630
How do you like your visionx spot lamps? I'm looking at installing some on the ARB bumper before its bolted on and not sure I want $$$$ ARB lamps.

Also, anyone have a clear picture of the firewall access into cabin? I think I've located the grommet but damn my fat hands aren't going to reach that.
I'm thinking about a wireless switch for front lamps paired with a homelink button but need to run the CB antenna cable into cabin.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi